How to configure Mailenable & DNS with S.P.F.

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
bootika

How to configure Mailenable & DNS with S.P.F.

Post by bootika » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi!
I have a server running windows 200 server and Mailenable Pro 1.5e. I host around 30 domains. I only use one domain to send mail from: mydomain.ro, so every other domain have a mx record pointing to mail.mydomain.ro. My server uses only one IP adress. How should I configure the the dns zone of mydomain.ro and the zone of the others domains hosted to use SPF?
One of my domains points to an IP adress where that company has it's own mail server. How should I configure SPF for that domain?

Now, in Mailenable, in SMTP settings, SPF configuration there are 2 check boxes: "Add received-SPF header" and "Enable local policy"; what each one of these do, and what should I write in that textbox below "Enable local policy"? I know I might sound stupid, putting that amount of questions, but I want to do it right, and I'm not sure how to configure Mailenable and DNS.

Thank you.

MartynK

Post by MartynK » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:38 pm

I don't host my own DNS, I have another provider do this. All I have done is had this "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all" DNS txt entry added for each of the domains I am hosting and all seems fine.

You might want to go have a look at
http://spf.pobox.com as this is one of the main sources of information on this and they have a nice wizard that will help you create you SPF txt record.

bootika

Post by bootika » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:54 pm

what's the difference between "-all" and "~all"?

MartynK

Post by MartynK » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:04 pm

If I am correct "-all" means only the defined server can send email for this domain.

The "~all" means anything that does not match the criteria should "softfail"

As I said in th previous email, have a look at http://spf.pobox.com it will explain all.

nemsrl

Dns setting for SPF

Post by nemsrl » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:52 pm

Hi,

MartynK said :
All I have done is had this "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all" DNS txt entry added for each of the domains I am hosting and all seems fine
I don't host my own dns, an isp provider do this. So I want to know where I must add the txt entry for SPF ?

Thanks.
Alex

MartynK

Post by MartynK » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:06 pm

It does not matter who actually hosts your DNS entry, it is just a matter of getting them to add the SPF txt record.

All you need to do is work out what SPF entry you need and then ask your DNS holder to add the record.

Have a look as http://spf.pobox.com to get help with the txt entry.