Duplicate e-mails

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
paarlberg

Duplicate e-mails

Post by paarlberg »

I have been receiving a lot of complaints since upgrading to 1.5 Pro about duplicate e-mails being received.

Has ME found the reason for these?

I am using
ME 1.5e Pro
MEFilter
F-Prot
AVG
ClamAV

Thanks

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

bump

jorune

Post by jorune »

I'm using 1.5e and have not received any complaints. 500 mailboxes on 80 domains - so I would image if something weird was happening at least someone would say something.

FYI

kohnhost

Me too

Post by kohnhost »

I am running Professional version 1.16 and have been receiving complaints about duplicate emails too.

Rooey

ME too!

Post by Rooey »

Guys, this is serious. What gives? Some people are getting 25-50 duplicates. This is rediculous.

Let's Narrow it down.

Two seperate servers run ME. On them:
I'm Running ME PRO 1.5d (haven't upgraded to 1.5e yet)
Windows 2003 Server
F-Prot Anti-Virus

Anyone else with this config having the same problems? Gut instict points to The Anti-Virus config with ME.

DO we know what the fix is? This only happens with my MailEnable Enabled Servers.

HELP!

Rooey

Support?

Post by Rooey »

Hey Support, saw you were on the forum, got any ideas to solve this Duplicate Email problem?

It is isolated by users, but nonetheless is still occuring.

ME Pro 1.2e

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

My gut feeling it is with the AV scanning and the fact that several e-mails are found in the SMTP Inbox and the scratch folder daily. These are never deleted as they should be with the SMTP->MTA->PO process..

I am going to change all my ME services to run as a local user on the server. I will give the user admin rights.

One of the issues I have seen are rights issues on some of the folders in the scratch folder. I have to change the owner to delete the folders and files. I usually have about 500-1000 per day in the scratch folder.

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Is this "Non deletion" issue someting to do with a realtime AV scanner running.

I have this problem, even though I exclude the ME dirs as allowed by my realtime AV scanner. It is just because the AV scanner I use, allows for exclusion but does not do the job correctly.

If I uninstall the AV scanner ME works without leaving the files behind, but I have made the decision that its better to have the problem of a cleanup than the issue of a virus getting through.

Post by Guest »

The problem I have is that Even NON Virus emails sometimes cause Duplicates.

A user was getting 25-50 duplicates of the same email, and she emailed me, and I emailed her back and said, ok, how many of this email did you get.

She also checks mail from another server running MailMax, and doesn't have this problem....

Anyone have a solution, ideas, comments, thoughts, help, anything?

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

Update...

My client sent me this e-mail on Friday.

Just to let you know that our duplication problem seems to have been sorted. I haven't received any duplicated e-mails the last couple of days. If it was something you did, thank you very much.

I didn't make any changes.. so it has a mind of its own.

jorune

Post by jorune »

paarlberg wrote:Update...

My client sent me this e-mail on Friday.

Just to let you know that our duplication problem seems to have been sorted. I haven't received any duplicated e-mails the last couple of days. If it was something you did, thank you very much.

I didn't make any changes.. so it has a mind of its own.
When dealing with computers things that suddenly get "fixed" - in my experience - will come back. :D

Wish I could help more.

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

I agree.. but at least I have a break from the abuse.

pjw2510

Multiple copies of emails

Post by pjw2510 »

There is another issue here that should be considered which is that it would be a good idea to check whether all of the users having problems with echoed messages were using the same ISP. I have found many times in the past that these kind of issues are due to an isp having connection problems and the connection with the mailserver being interrupted which means that the next time they connect they get the messages repeated up to where the connection got dropped last time and this can go on and on for quite a while as their message stack gets bigger and even more likely to be interrupted. The key is to find out if they got x copies all at once (which indicates a loop in the pipe at ISP level) or over x number of different attempts at connection (which indicates an interrupted download)

Regards
peter

jorune

Post by jorune »

I have a question:

Are the duplicate emails showing up in webmail also? Or, as the post above suggests, are they getting them in their mail client?

Post by Guest »

It is 100% completely from the Mail Client. Duplicates NEVER show up in WebMail. I've been doing this for 18 months, and have expereienced this completely intermittently, but it definitely happens. So....

The problem lies in the download of the messages.

This problem comes and goes, but it definitely exists.

The ISPs range from ALL over the country, so its not just one. :?: