maybe I missed something new beta and blacklist

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
DOA

maybe I missed something new beta and blacklist

Post by DOA »

I setup v1.6 and I'm tring to setup the blacklist I get alot of junk mail from @link2buy by it is now all the same mail box.

I have tried *@lunk2buy and some other but none of it works what I'm I doing wrong ??? LOL

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you are blacklisting a domain in MailEnable, using the Domain properties window, this is only for domains. You can only enter items such as mailenable.com, or test.com. It works by checking the MAIL FROM line when a mail server is connecting. It will stop the server receiving the email altogether. It can't be used to stop individual email addresses.

Remember that the MAIL FROM address may be different to the actual address in the email contents. Thus it is not an ideal way of stopping spam (since these addresses usually don't match for junk mail). It is also made difficult to stop spam because you would likely have to trawl through logs to see what address the spam is coming from. Our intention for this wasn't as a spam blocker.

We will be having our filtering plugin available soon that will make this a lot easier, and you will be able to filter by email contents.

One culprit for receiving a lot of spam is enabling the catch-all. Using this will tremendously increase the amount of spam you get. For instance, on a test domain we use, removing the catch-all and just leaving 5 email addresses brought the spam count down from 50 messages a day to 1. On another domain we have, we found someone was trying to send to approximately 4000 non-existant email addresses at the domain over a short period. If the catch-all was on, I wouldn't want to have to download my mailbox over a 56k modem! (which also bumped our auto-ban IP addresses features higher up on our TODO list).

DOA

Post by DOA »

thaknn you for the update