AutoREsponder From Address

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
sdewitt

Post by sdewitt »

You would think it would just do it (Use the mailbox address) and we would not have to go back and check thier reply address.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

It is like this because there were people wanting to select different address mappings for this from address. In version 1.7 the reply to address is automatically set for any new mailbox, the first address map in the list will be selected. If one is not found for what ever reason then the bad mail address will be used.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

JVRudnick

Hmmm....

Post by JVRudnick »

hey lads..

to someone_else, I'll investigate same...IF it's not too hard to decipher how to install and manage, this might be the answer....

to MailEnable-Ben - nope. your link shows a simple method to change the address only ie I type in the name of the email account holder ie "jim@yahoo.com"

when the autoresponder works, yes - the replyTo address is now changed BUT the friendly name is not. no way I can change that...tried everything in each forum post and all thru the KB here...

in other words, there IS no way to change the friendly names....right???

ie THIS IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Jim

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

It can be changed via;

C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices\[post office name]\mailroot\[mailbox name]\

The file to change is autorespond.cfg if you open in the notpad then you will see a line similar to this;

If you change the "Test2" or what ever is in the quotes to what ever you want the response message to contain for the Friendly Name any response message will contain the entry.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

JVRudnick

Hmm...NO it does not work!!!

Post by JVRudnick »

Ben...

my setup is w2k3/IIS6/Plesk on a brand new server, running MEPro.

I go to MEPro Admin, to the mailboxes area for the domain in question, and pick one mailbox. I turn ON the Autoresponder, so that a .cfg file is generated and in the folder.

I then navigate to the folder -- C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Postoffices\domainName\MAILROOT\wsmith
and yes, I see the autorespond.cfg file.

I open same in Notpad, and yup the line to change is there -- it's the first line in the file -- From: "Auto Response" <wsmith@domainName.com>

I change the "Auto Response" to "Wendy Smith" -- and save.

I close the folder. I then go back to the MEPro Admin area, and turn OFF the AutoResponder for that account. I count to 10 just for fun!

I then turn it back on - and revisit that same folder, and yes, there is again a new .cfg file BUT the "Auto Responder" name is back....my typing in "Wendy Smith" has disappeared....

THIS DOES NOT FAIL. NO MATTER WHAT ACCOUNT I PICK, THE FRIENDLY NAME ALWAYS REVERTS BACK TO "Auto Responder"

HELP HERE GUYs...what am I doing wrong? Maybe your procedure works on some installations, but not on mine!!!!!

Jim

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

OK Jim,
Yes you are correct the autoreponder file will be over written with defaults in this instance every time it is edited either in web mail or admin program.

Here is some information on how the auto responder works that may help you however. There have been a few changes to how this feature works and in the interest of ensuring all the details below work I can be quoted as saying that in the next minor release for both products the steps below will be followed. I think in current versions the only step that is not used is the address map field being taken if the reply to address is not set.

The autoreponder is separated into two fields here are the actions of the two fields namely Friendly Name and Email Address.

In the auto repsonse.cfg file the first line contains these two fields;

FRIENDLY NAME.
If the friendly name is not set either in the Web mail client or the ME Admin MMC then an auto response will be sent from "AUTORESPONSE - "

EMAIL ADDRESS or Reply To Address
The email address that will be placed into the From address of an auto response will be the Reply To Address of a mailbox if it is set either in the Webmail client or the ME Admin MMC.

If the reply to field of a mailbox is not set the address that is used will be the first address map in the address list for the mailbox.

If the above two fields are not set then the system address bad mail sender will be used.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

Try this, I believe this is what has worked for us in the past..

Delete all the autoresponder files.. Create the friendly name in webmail prior to setting up an autoresponder. Then when it creates the autoresponder it has a friendly name to use and will not default to "AutoResponder" as the friendly name.

This work on previous versions, so you may need to verify.