Filtering does not work!

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
nadja

same behaviour...

Post by nadja » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:23 am

My spam filter was working great for a month and then stopped. I had to re-install email enable to have it working again... for three weeks... I think I tried pretty much everything: created separate filters for "subject line and "body" keywords filtering, change the actions etc... doesn't work anymore.

Anyone has a solution?

Thanks

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:43 am

Hi,

Can you explain what you are trying to filter and the criteria used in the filter and the actions used. Ensure the filtering is enabled if you have upgraded to a new version. To enable the filtering for the server navigate to Servers>localhost>Filters and right click to open the enable/disable window.

regards,

lukaszb

Post by lukaszb » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:11 am

Hi Ian,

Luke here again. I was the person who originally complained about the filtering provider and I must say it still doesn't perform the way it should. Sorry guys, but you have to change it somehow to fit the needs of the end-users. The thing is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't -- that's the tricky part. You really need to do some serious debugging of the filtering provider.

Take care,
Luke

PS.
I don't mean to bash on ME, but you have to seriously commit to the project and don't ignore your clients. In other words, I really like MailEnable software (stability, managment, etc), but there are critical areas that need attention. These critical areas include webmail and filtering providers.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:10 am

Both things you mention are under review and are to be significantly revised in the next update -> specifically performance improvements and much improved logging (as you point out - most of the issues relating to filtering stem from not being able to work out why a filter was or wasnot executed). More revolutionary changes with respect to filtering etc will be available in version 2 of pro - and as improvements to version 1 of ent edition.
Regards, Andrew

lukaszb

Post by lukaszb » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:46 pm

When is version 2 going to be available (as a beta and an official release)?

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:10 am

Not sure I will keep an eye out for this, what I will say is that it is best to at the moment until the AND and OR options are implemented only include one criteria per one filter. This will help with logging as the name of the filter that actioned on a message is labelled in the logs so easier tracking is possible. Also there is not reason to have more than one criteria in a filter at present as this does not achieve any advantage that I can think of.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

microwil

Post by microwil » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:13 pm

I have to agree on lukaszb that the filter is sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. And this situation is much like what I've complained about the MTA's ANTIVIRUS a year ago.
I use the filter to filter some of the incoming junk mail. And some of the junk mail with the subject that I've set, still, slip thru to my client's mailbox, sometimes. I search the filter log file using the xxxx.MAI name and found nothing. If the server or mailenable doesn't have enough time or power to perform the filtering, I prefer MAILENABLE delay the mail delivery rather than let it thru.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:01 am

The load on the server is not an issue in regards to the filtering the developers spent a bit of time ensuring any filtering engine would not slow the throughput of mail on any server considerably. It seems as if some mail is getting through I have only seen issues with HTML encoded messages as outlined here;

The filtering option on the body context will find a word sent through providing it is found as a string. The HTML code will interupt the search and is a common device used by spammers to bypass the exact systems you have in place.

If a message goes through the system as SPAM and you have a filter *SPAM* the word is picked up.

Problems arise;
When you have a filter to find;
SPAM
*SPAM*

And the message comes through like;
<B>SP</B>AM

This will not be found by the filter that searches on the above criteria as the string SPAM is not present.

To say something does not work is not helpful in this case the best way for a test to be made is by checking the MAI file that has been delivered to the mailbox inbox that was supposed to be picked up looking for the word.

Check for the word/thread that it was supposed to pick up if you still believe there to be a problem after this send the message MAI file and the exact filter criteria through the support form as a defect. Also when you are doing your own testing disable other filters except for the one you are testing against so it is clear what it happening, you could even run the service in debug mode more info on how to do this can be found in the KB.

Please be sure that you are correct on this however as so far anyone that has said or sent through the same info as above has subsequently found that the filters are working correctly. Saying this however we are obviously very interested in any way the filters are not functioning correctly.

To add to this it is worth noting that the next minor release which is on the beta page http://www.mailenable.com/beta/ does have some changes in regards to the filtering that may assist in some of the issues in this thread.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

Novox

We can't select more than 1 filter criteria per filter?!?!?!

Post by Novox » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 pm

MailEnable-Ben wrote:Not sure I will keep an eye out for this, what I will say is that it is best to at the moment until the AND and OR options are implemented only include one criteria per one filter. This will help with logging as the name of the filter that actioned on a message is labelled in the logs so easier tracking is possible. Also there is not reason to have more than one criteria in a filter at present as this does not achieve any advantage that I can think of.
That seems ridiculous. spam from authenticated users, mail from person X sent to person Y, priority mails from a specific domain, etc... None of that can be implemented if we can only have 1 criteria per filter.

~Bill

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:16 am

Dont know how ridiculous it is but I can tell you that in some regards you are correct and in the next version more configurable filtering will be available. As for the point of "None of it can be implemented" I am sure the people that are using the criteria you have mentioned would disagree ie;

Authenticated users - effectively used to help collect ham messages for the bayesian filter.

Mail from and to - is utilised in many ways whether to better organise incoming mail into groups/folders, prevent spam, monitor server activity/security or in other varied manners.

Mail From a specific domain - spam protection, message tracking, storage
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

microwil

Post by microwil » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 pm

okay I found something interesting: I tried to block some incomings w/ the subject "Adieu.". So I set up a filter to block subject line contains "*Adieu" . And the result is it doesn't work. Then I tried w/ the word "Adieu.", and it works now. I thought the * could help a lot but it doesn't.
There are now a new case. There is a spam contains "I want to stop message body contains:
"Hello!
We won't waste your time, just save your money right now!
Specialy for busy people we've opened Name-brand OEM Software DOWNLOAD CENTER
with extremly cheap prices. Just 1 click and you'll get software you want at prices you need."

I tried w/ the words "*name-brand oem software*", but it doesn't work. Anyone can help me alone?