Upgrade of MailEnable Professional - Server reboot required?

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
powersg

Upgrade of MailEnable Professional - Server reboot required?

Post by powersg »

Do I need to reboot the server after upgrading MailEnable Standard?
Do I need to reboot the server after upgrading MailEnable Professional?

Can I just stop and restart the mailenable services?

I installed the standard upgrade, stopped and restarted the services, installed the professional upgrade, stopped and restarted the services.

Is this enough or do I need to physically reboot the server? If so, do I have to reboot between each upgrade?

Stopping all the services and starting all the services means that users will see a small network blip while the services are restarting. Stopping the server will mean a longer outage while the server restarts (not good).

Look forward to your guidance. Steve
Steve Power

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

To install MailEnable Standard without a reboot (and ensure that all files are upgraded properly) you need to:

- 1.. Shutdown all MailEnable Services
- 2.. Shutdown any MailEnable COM+ Applications
- 3.. Shutdown IIS
- 4.. Close the Administration Console

The reason you need to shut all these down is that Mail Services shipped in Professional Edition will lock resources in Standard Edition - hence everything needs to be shutdown before the upgrade.

Professional is less of an issue because it sits on top of Standard Edition; but you should so the same.

Point taken about the reboot - we reviewing the installation process so that it can optionally shutdown the appropriate services before installation.
Regards, Andrew

powersg

Post by powersg »

Thanks Dave for your quick response.

Item 1: Done.
Item 2: I assume these are listed in the services section of Computer Management Console. If so I didn't have any.
Item 3: This is now getting a little bit more serious. On my server IIS is running other web services as well as WebMail.
Item 4: Not sure what this means when I use Windows Terminal Services to connect to the server.

Do I still need to reboot the server between upgrade of standard edition and professional edition? Or can I upgrade both and then reboot? Is it 1 or 2 reboots in total?

Since this is not a simple case of stopping the Mail Enable services (since IIS needs to be stopped, etc.) I will have to arrange a very early start to reboot the server. Rats, I was hoping for a good lie in tomorrow. :)

Thanks again Dave, Please just clarify the total number of reboots needed.

Can I also suggest that the upgrade procedures (both the reboot and the alternative version) are clarified and a link posted on the download page.
Steve Power

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

No worries - I am just trying to clarify whether the current releases now allow installation with no reboots. Will post accordingly. BTW - there is an error in my Post. You do not need to shutdown the web server when upgrading standard. You only need to shutdown the COM+ package.

This would mean that you do not need to reboot the server when upgrading standard edition - Professional edition currently will require a reboot.
Regards, Andrew

vnvjeep

Reboots

Post by vnvjeep »

Steve,

Not sure if this helps, but I usually install the latest version of Standard, I don't reboot, then install the latest version of Pro... Then I reboot. Sofar, everything seems to have been working OK for me! :)

Cya,
Mike

powersg

Post by powersg »

Mike, Thanks for that. Thats what I did last time. I am just trying to cut the number of reboots down. A single reboot can be easily down at a suitable times.

Thanks again
Steve
Steve Power

vnvjeep

reboots

Post by vnvjeep »

No prob, Steve... good luck!

L8r
Mike