AVG using Filter

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
agtech

AVG using Filter

Post by agtech »

Is a great app and I do appreciate the on-going development work being done..but I'm having problems here :

I have updated to the latest version and have read conflicting docs.

I'm assuming that AV is run by using a filter now as some of the instructions don't match up to my MMC. ie. I don't have an Anti-Virus Tab on the MTA Properties.

I've setup a filter called Antivirus, ticked criteria boxes :

Where the message contains a virus

How does it know if the message contains a virus ??, I haven't configured anything here yet ? So I have added the next two :

When the message has an attachment
When the message has attachments

As action to take have chosen Execute an Applicaition and configured as follows :

Enabled - Ticked
App to run : C:\Progra~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgscan.exe
Parameters : "[AGENT]" "[FILENAME]" /EXT=* /ARC /ARCW /PWDW /SCAN /NOMEM /NOHIMEM /NOSELF /REPAPPEN

Now what I really want on parameters is : "[AGENT]" "[FILENAME]" /EXT=* /ARC /ARCW /PWDW /SCAN /NOMEM /NOHIMEM /NOSELF /REPAPPEND D:\Logfiles\AVGMail\report.txt

But it keeps cutting the end off, Can I specify a text file here ?

Also what does [AGENT] actually do ? Is this the file path to the mailbox, if so is [FILENAME] correct or should I use [ID] & ".mai", is this possible ?

Lots of questions I know, help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

agtech

Post by agtech »

To Add :

Have removed a lot of the junk from the command line so I can fit in the report, havbe put it on d:\report.txt

It reports [AGENT] & [FILENAME] - cannot open, not checked.

Are these parameters useful and being passed on ??

continuing testing :D

agtech

Post by agtech »

Ok, progress :

Log file :

AVG 7.0 Anti-Virus
Copyright (c) GRISOFT,s.r.o. 2005
Program version 7.0 Engine: 718 database version 266.7.0
Command line: ["SMTP" "36D4BFD054244F7DA412A3DE6151.MAI" /EXT=* /SCAN /NOMEM /NOHIMEM /NOSELF /REPAPPEND D:\report.txt]
"SMTP" Cannot open; not checked!
"36D4BFD054244F7DA412A3DE6151.MAI" Cannot open; not checked!

------------------------------------------------------------
Test start 09/03/2005 16:15:57
Elapsed time 0 sec.
Scanned files : 0
Scanned sectors : 1
No viruses found.

I have got the email filename in, how do I get it to pass the PATH over, is there a list of parameters anywhere ?

agtech

Totally Stuck Now

Post by agtech »

Have confirmed that the option of When message contains a virus simply doesn't work.

So tried editing registry to reflect the true path of the avgscan file. is showing avg6 filepath.

Not sure if this is even being used, Have upgraded recently to the latest version from a much earlier one.

Yet using the Filter to run an application when message has an attachment does work excpet I can't fit the full path into the parameters with a few switches as the field only allows a small amount of chars, :shock:

Someone please tell me they have avgscan.exe working with the latest version of mailenable, please help....

agtech

Post by agtech »

Surely someone out here has got it working.

Come on Mailenable tech support lurkers, give me some help here, please...

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Follow the instructions below for the correct setup for AV:

1. Navigate to Servers>localhost>Filters and right click it. Tick the enable
box to enable filtering.

2. Navigate to Servers>localhost>Filters>Mailenable Message Filter and
highlight filters. In the right hand side list window you will see
"Mailenable Antivirus Filter" double click it to open he Antivirus
configuration window. Select the command line scanner to be used and test it to see if the configuration is correct.

3. Next navigate back up to Messaging Manager>Postoffices>Filters and right click on it and create a new filter.

4. Once you have created the new filter you will see it in the right hand
side list window. Double click it to open he filter configuration window and
add the criteria "Where the message contains a virus" and add the
appropriate actions to occur if the message has a virus.

regards,

mdj1

Post by mdj1 »

Ive just installed ME Pro and already have AVG installed, Its running on windows 2003 web server edition.

When i click on test in section 2

2. Navigate to Servers>localhost>Filters>Mailenable Message Filter and
highlight filters. In the right hand side list window you will see
"Mailenable Antivirus Filter" double click it to open he Antivirus
configuration window. Select the command line scanner to be used and test it to see if the configuration is correct.

I get the message "There appears to be an error with the anti-virus configuration......"

I have disabled the realtime scanner in AVG as suggested.

Does this mean it's not working.

Also, how come in the Available Filters it states, AVG6 and not 7 and also the patch points to AVG6 not AVG7, does this affect the opperation?
Regards.

Mark

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Have you reviewed the article on how to intergrate AVG 7 with mailenable?
http://www.mailenable.com/kb/Content/Ar ... D=me020201

Have you checked the Antivirus logfiles for an indication if the AV is working? You can check these by navigating to Servers>localhost>Filters>Mailenable Message Filter>Logs.

Regards,

mdj1

Post by mdj1 »

Hi Ian,

I have done that, and restarted the server, it still shows version6 in the mailenable and when i click test it still shows an error.
Regards.

Mark

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Navigate to this location in regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Agents\MTA\Filters\MEAVGR7

and add this DWORD "Type" with a decimal value of "1".

regards,

mdj1

Post by mdj1 »

OK, ive now added name = type type = REG_DWORD value = 1 to that registry location and now i can see an entry for both avg6 and 7 in the selection list under ME.

I have disabled verison 6 and enabled version 7 however, now when i click the "test settings" button it thinks for several seconds before showing the dreaded failed message.
Regards.

Mark

mdj1

Post by mdj1 »

Oh, just to add and make sure this is correct, my AVG states, resident shield is loaded and not fully functional.

Also, is it possible to leave the resident shield running and use another virus database i.e. F-Prot instead?
Regards.

Mark

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Ensure all your paths are correct in the Antivirus configuration window, and ensure you dont have the /EXPORT parameter for AVG 7 and that the resident shield and Email scanning has been disabled as this will cause conflicts. I have tested this and had no problems configuring version 7. The test button returned that the AV is successfully installed. I suggest you follow the KB article below on how to successfully intergrate AVG with mailenable. For your questions about resident AV, no it is not recommended you have the Resident AV enabled for any Antivirus program.

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020286.htm

regards,

mdj1

Post by mdj1 »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for all your advice, it seems the path when it started showing version 7 aswell as 6 had changed to avg.exe and not avgscan.exe now the button seems to be working.
Regards.

Mark