I am Attacked by China Spammers... Help

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
sab

I am Attacked by China Spammers... Help

Post by sab » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:50 am

Hi,

Recently I am attacked heavily by spammers looks like from china, I can't read the language to be sure. The email address received from shown like rnjffgfgy@yahoo and many different email user but all from @yahoo, the IP Address always something different almost every time I got a spam mail. My ME Pro server security configured as following:

1- Check on Reject mail if sender address is from invalid domain
2- Check on Authenticated senders must use valid sender address
3- Check on Disable all catchalls

The above didn't help, I created a Filter as follows:

Named: Email IP Address Blocking
In the Manage I checked on: Where the originators IP address matches, and when double click I got smaller screen showing:
Criteria: Where the originators IP Address matches
Check on Enabled, the IP Address to Enter.
I entered one of the address I gathered from the spam email I received and pressed OK. Then again I tried to repeat the process and got the same screen but doesn't show where is the first address I entered earlier. I am not sure if it has taken my entry and I don't know if it can take another address.

Appreciate any HELP, that can solve this problem as I am getting more and more of these spammers.

Regards
SAB

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 4:20 pm

I have this same question, I'm simply trying to block out IP addresses that are spammers, but not sure what the best way to go about doing this. I created a filter just like SAB describes, but after entering the IP address you cannot go back and see if it is actually entered anywhere.

Is there a text file somewhere that can confirm this? Or is this the wrong way to go about blocking emails orginating from certain IP addresses?

Thanks

Mother

Post by Mother » Mon May 16, 2005 5:15 pm

Ya the text files are located in the \filter\Actions directory

But personally I think this is a not the best solution to the problem, that paticular filter is hard to manage with ME. The best solution for stopping countries such as china would be to create your own reverse dns blacklist zone, provided you run your own DNS server.

If you dont run your on DNS server, try adding these address to your "SMTP-DENY.TAB"

Code: Select all

221.*	0	1	CONNECT
Doing this in my opinon reduces stress on your mail server becuase if they are denied by the smpt connector, your server does not have to run any other filtering and the connectors dont eat cpu time.

just my 2¢

unknown

Post by unknown » Fri May 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Try to block them by using the ME filter putting these in the MEFILTER-GENERAL.txt file:

*Ã*
*Â¥*
*¦*
*Ã’*
*¤*
*ª*
*É*
*¶*
*Ó*
*ý*
*Õ*
*§*
*Ì*
*±*
*º*
*Ð*
*¿*
*ì*
*°*
*¯*
*l*
*ß*

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg » Tue May 31, 2005 1:55 pm

I use MEFilter www.mefilter.com to block based on the country.

mammdo

Post by mammdo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:33 am

MEIlter Works GREAT but you need to register to use the Country Blocking Option.

Make a donation of 20 or more to get a valid license, worth it

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:23 pm

MEFilter also has a lot of other SPAM blocking features and there may be a web based admin tool very soon (from a 3rd party).