Catch All Address - Want it to act as catch all EXCEPT x,y,z

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
UPSdata

Catch All Address - Want it to act as catch all EXCEPT x,y,z

Post by UPSdata »

Back when spam wasn't as prevelant as it is today, I got in the habit of setting up my email account with a catch all address. That way, when I went to a site to sign up for something, I could use an alias that would let me know where email was coming from. ie. mailenable@mydomain.com

Now, things have gotten out of control. And there are certain ones that I want to filter off. But I don't want to turn the catch all off and try to remember all of the important ones from over the years to add back in as aliases.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

-Erik

fmaxwell

See this thread...

Post by fmaxwell »

You might be interested in this thread that I started long ago:

http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

It sounds like we may have similar needs...

cassius

Post by cassius »

Even better, you can just right-click the SMTP connector, and there is an option for "banned addresses" or something like that. Where you can put in the addresses that you want rejected so they don't appear in your catchall inbox.

Post by Guest »

cassius wrote:Even better, you can just right-click the SMTP connector, and there is an option for "banned addresses" or something like that. Where you can put in the addresses that you want rejected so they don't appear in your catchall inbox.
Next time your server is dictionary-attacked by a spammer, tell me how valuable the "banned address" feature is. I've been there. I know.

If I could have a catchall for all "_*@{mydomain}", I could get e-mail from ever vendor, organization, web site, etc. that I've given an address to since I always preface such e-mail addresses with an underscore. All of the others would be rejected.

UPSdata

Post by UPSdata »

cassius wrote:Even better, you can just right-click the SMTP connector, and there is an option for "banned addresses" or something like that. Where you can put in the addresses that you want rejected so they don't appear in your catchall inbox.
Seems like this would be an ok way for me to go (granted I would have to add a lot of addresses into it) but I can't find the option. Could you please be a little more specific with the location of that?

Thanks

cassius

Post by cassius »

Next time your server is dictionary-attacked by a spammer, tell me how valuable the "banned address" feature is. I've been there. I know.
Are you saying it is valuable or it isn't valuable? Because if you're saying it isn't valuable (I admit the MMC interface to it is a little unwieldy), then (1) you could always write a script using the COM+ objects to add a bunch of addresses at once instead of one at a time (or a SQL script if you're storing your configuration in the SQL provider), and (2) the blocked addresses isn't really meant to stop dictionary attacks... I would use MEFILTER or something similar as the pickup event of the MTA agent.
If I could have a catchall for all "_*@{mydomain}", I could get e-mail from ever vendor, organization, web site, etc. that I've given an address to since I always preface such e-mail addresses with an underscore. All of the others would be rejected.
I do the same, but unfortunately I've found that some websites when you sign up consider e-mail addresses starting with an underscore to not be a valid e-mail address. So I've changed to "z_whatever@mydomain.com".
Seems like this would be an ok way for me to go (granted I would have to add a lot of addresses into it) but I can't find the option. Could you please be a little more specific with the location of that?
Open the Enterprise MMC, go to Servers ~ localhost ~ Connectors. Right click the SMTP connector, and choose Properties. Go to the "Blocked Addresses" tab.

cassius

Post by cassius »

Oh, heh, just noticed this is the Professional forum, so you might not be running Enterprise. I'm not sure if the "Blocked Addresses" feature is available in professional, but I think it is. Let me know if you can't find it, I suppose it _could_ be an Enterprise only feature. But I think it's in Professional as well.

fmaxwell

Post by fmaxwell »

cassius wrote:
Are you saying it is valuable or it isn't valuable? Because if you're saying it isn't valuable (I admit the MMC interface to it is a little unwieldy), then (1) you could always write a script using the COM+ objects to add a bunch of addresses at once instead of one at a time (or a SQL script if you're storing your configuration in the SQL provider), and (2) the blocked addresses isn't really meant to stop dictionary attacks... I would use MEFILTER or something similar as the pickup event of the MTA agent.
It's a valuable feature, but it really doesn't solve the problem of dictionary attacks, which are becoming all-too-common. If you don't know what thousand addresses the spammer will try next, you can't put them into a blocked list. I got up one morning and found tens of thousands of messages in my catchall box because some spammer decided to try tens of thousands of addresses at my domain in a dicitonary attack.

I also fear that, even if you could put that many addresses into the blacklist, MailEnable would slow to a crawl.

The problem with MEFILTER is that it's a post-reception filter. That means that spammers will be stealing your bandwidth, sometimes at an alarming rate, for days, weeks, or even months on end as they send, and MEFILTER deletes, one message after another. What we need is the ability specify a wildcard for catchalls (in my case "_*@{mydomain}" and in yours "z_*{yourdomain}" so that all other addresses are refused before the message is sent.

UPSdata

Post by UPSdata »

cassius wrote:Oh, heh, just noticed this is the Professional forum, so you might not be running Enterprise. I'm not sure if the "Blocked Addresses" feature is available in professional, but I think it is. Let me know if you can't find it, I suppose it _could_ be an Enterprise only feature. But I think it's in Professional as well.
Apparently it is an Enterprise only solution....

I tried the option of creating a spam@domain and mapping all the bad addresses to that account... but with a *@domain catch all still in place, this option doesn't appear to work.

any other ideas for us PRO folks?

Thanks.

fmaxwell

Post by fmaxwell »

UPSdata wrote:
cassius wrote:Oh, heh, just noticed this is the Professional forum, so you might not be running Enterprise. I'm not sure if the "Blocked Addresses" feature is available in professional, but I think it is. Let me know if you can't find it, I suppose it _could_ be an Enterprise only feature. But I think it's in Professional as well.
Apparently it is an Enterprise only solution....
It is in Pro and I use it. The blocked addresses feature is found in the management console under SMTP. At least it is in any recent version.

UPSdata

Post by UPSdata »

fmaxwell wrote: It is in Pro and I use it. The blocked addresses feature is found in the management console under SMTP. At least it is in any recent version.
Ahhhhhh, yes. An upgrade did the trick! Thanks much!

-Erik