Webmail can't remove drafts after upgrade to 1.6

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
LightMan

Webmail can't remove drafts after upgrade to 1.6

Post by LightMan »

ive got the following problem after upgrade,
it seems like webmail haven got enough rights to remove a draft message,
this problem occurs when i send an e-mail trough the webmail interface.
ive tried serveral accounts and other postoffices logins but this error displays in the event application log:

Code: Select all

The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application MEWebMail: Thread ID: 240 ,Logged: MailEnable Webmail could not delete file (error 53):D:\Mail\POSTOFFICES\postoffice\MAILROOT\USER\Drafts\BD7F0D351EB94C8A8C3FE69D14AE764B.MAI 

ive already run the meinstaller.exe, and set the file permissions (common) and the webmail en webadmin permissions etc...
but with no good results....

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Are you able to seee the drafts folder in webmail, in the folders tree? The error (53) is stating that the path does not exist, so ensure the folder exists in the mailbox directory. Also check the "Messaging manager" properties to see if the paths are pointing to the correct locations.

regards,

LightMan

Post by LightMan »

Yes i can see them, and it's also possible to delete them.
ive i look in de directory itself on the server, then de drafts are deleted succesfully???

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The error 53 actually is a windows error meaning "Permission denied".
You should "revalidate" the rights to the path mentioned. also make sure that the file in that path is not read only.

In most cases, the error means that the IME_ADMIN account does not have full control over this directory/file that is being deleted; and since webmail runs as this user, it cannot delete the file.

The solution is to run this from the command prompt:

CACLS "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F

or specifically in your case:

CACLS "D:\Mail\POSTOFFICES\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
Regards, Andrew

LightMan

Post by LightMan »

I run the CALCS command, and check the rights,
they are correct for the IME_ADMIN user.

the strange thing is that the MAI draft file is deleted succesfully
the same problem exists if i delete some mail from the sent-mail folder.

this is the event id:

ann this is the map
you can see its empty

I also tried to run the IIS website for MEWebmail to run it with the IME_ADMIN user instead of the IME_USER account.
that was also no solution to the problem

what is the correct account for the website? is that the IME_USER???

ive i look to the security NTFS settings than i only see the IME_ADMIN user with full controll to it, and no IME_USER account

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

You should not modify the account roles with respect to IME_ADMIN and IME_USER. ie: IME_USER is the IIS proxy account and IME_ADMIN is the COM+ proxy account.

The best/fastest way to diagnose is to log a support ticket as a defect and an engineer can optionally login and review the permissions, etc.

Maybe use filemon and/or reg mon to diagnose. This should show you who it accessing the file and possible the name of the windows account that is being used. One other possible suggestion is to make the IME_ADMIN user a member of Administrators.. but this is kind osf grasping at straws and should not normally be required.

The support ticket is the best call - and then the answer can be posted to the forum once resolved.
Regards, Andrew

dwaldron

Post by dwaldron »

I'm experiencing this problem too, but I am sure that my permissions are correct. It's not a big issue, but if someone could post the resolution when it has been sorted out, it would be appreciate.

LightMan

Post by LightMan »

dwaldron wrote:I'm experiencing this problem too, but I am sure that my permissions are correct. It's not a big issue, but if someone could post the resolution when it has been sorted out, it would be appreciate.
I am also sure of the permissions!

but the strange thing is that de file althoug is deleted succesfully ??? strange

dwaldron

Post by dwaldron »

The file is still definitely there in my case, although it can be deleted via the webmail application, which no doubt enjoys the same permissions, which leads me to think that it is not a permissions problem.

LightMan

Post by LightMan »

strange in my case the files are succesfully gone, but i stil got the error!

LightMan

Post by LightMan »

what do you mean exactly with this
dwaldron wrote:The file is still definitely there in my case, although it can be deleted via the webmail application,
In my case the error only exists when using the webmail application, but if i look in the explorer the files are gone. But the error exists!

killerwebs

Event Log: VBRuntime errors

Post by killerwebs »

I came here looking for this same issue: seems I am seeing lots of these errors in the event log since the 1.60 upgrade

The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application MEWebMail: Thread ID: 8440 ,Logged: MailEnable Webmail could not delete file (error 53):C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Enable\POSTOFFICES\doomain.org\MAILROOT\user\Deleted Items\7E8D4F5B137B4C02AFCC75CE2D4CB8F9.MAI

But when I go the the directory referenced in the error to look for that specific file, it is already gone. What are my users seeing when this error is generated in the event log?

No customer complaints as of yet, just trying to figure out what is going on.

Thanks

dwaldron

Post by dwaldron »

Yes, all is operating normally here too and no complaints, but it seems as though I am the only one who still has the files in the directory, which might be a problem some time down the track, particularly if the drafts have attachments - I can't imagine going through each folder and removing them all one Sunday afternoon!

troubleshooter

MailEnable Webmail could not delete file (error 53)

Post by troubleshooter »

I am having same issue on my server. I am able to confirm that when the client uses web mail to delete a message they do not receive any error messages but the error is recorded in the Application event log.

I did a test with my brother, I was monitoring the Windows Application Event log while he logged into his web mail account. As soon as he deleted a message from the Deleted Items folder the error was recorded in the log.

It has happened to other mail accounts who use Web Mail, but since the files actually get deleted and there are no errors on the Web Mail screen no one has complained. (Note: The file actually gets deleted from the server)

I will ignore the message for now until someone from Mail Enable says otherwise.

FastFngrz

Same symptoms on a clean install of ME Ent 1.1

Post by FastFngrz »

Just installed ME Enterprise 1.1 clean on a Win2k Server.. running great, but get the same symptoms as most - App log records an informational event saying error 53, cannot delete, when in fact the files been deleted. User sees no errors, and it doesn't always happen!

I have very restrictive NTFS perms, and IME_ADMIN does not have rights above the mail directory (D:\data\me - the folder where postoffices lives). Noted MANY security audit failures as IME_ADMIN is trying to read D:\data - Hmm.. will open security up in D:\data so IME_ADMIN can read and will post if it helps.

Not a problem, just annoying.