Backup question

Discussions on webmail and the Professional version.
skbohler

Backup question

Post by skbohler »

We want to make sure our server can have a backup of all of our users e-mails (in the event that some disaster destroys a person's outlook.pst file).

1) Does the user have to ensure that, in their Outlook options, they have selected to keep a copy of the message on the server?

2) If they do this, does that mean that everytime they use the webmail interface, they will see hundreds of old e-mails in their inbox?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

labsy

Post by labsy »

It is not usual practice to keep backup mail on server. It is user's concern what and how to backup.

If you would do as you suggested, leaving all messages on server, mail retreival and mailbox processing will become slower and slower. I have one such user, with 24.000 + mails in their mailboxes. It takes AGES just to refresh those messages.

hkgonra

Post by hkgonra »

labsy wrote:It is not usual practice to keep backup mail on server. It is user's concern what and how to backup.

If you would do as you suggested, leaving all messages on server, mail retreival and mailbox processing will become slower and slower. I have one such user, with 24.000 + mails in their mailboxes. It takes AGES just to refresh those messages.
I always thought the main reason for having your own e-mail server was to have duplicate stores of messages AND to be able to access ALL your mail ,( old, new, sent , etc. ) from the webmail interface if a user is away from the office.