COM Speed and versions

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
MattS

COM Speed and versions

Post by MattS » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 pm

I recently upgraded my ME Professional from 1.75 to 1.85 only to find that my ASP page that sends out 1000 emails in approximately 12 seconds before the upgrade now times out after 2 minutes sending less than 200 messages. I tried all the configurations suggestions for bulk mailing and disabled RDNS filtering, disabled logging, tried send threads from 30 to 200... After trying all sorts of tweaks I downgraded back to 1.75 and now it's faster than ever (I guess my tweaks worked for the older version).

What changed between 1.75 and 1.85 that the COM object now runs at a snails pace? The big question is if I upgrade to the current 2.x will the COM object run slowly? Obviously running an old version is a security risk so I'd like to be running the latest be it 1.x or 2.x but with the speed of 1.75.

MattS

Post by MattS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 am

Well to answer my own question I timed a single email send on Professional 1.75 then upgraded to Enterprise 2.37. With all ASP code and settings identical I got the following results.

Send 1 email with Pro 1.75: 0.015625
Send 1 email with Ent 2.37: 1.015625

I sent about 10 times and these results came up 8 of 10 times. My guess is 0.015625 is the resolution of the timer in VB. So for me the newer versions of Mailenable are useless as I need to send thousands and seeing as it's 65 times slower it's a no go. I'd like to upgrade but instead I'm now looking for another mail server. Is there a hidden property to make the new version work as fast as the old or should I be looking for a differenct solution???

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

ccgeek

Post by ccgeek » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am

If you want to send a bunch of e-mails quick, I suggest ASPEmail (it's free). I use a VB Script to send hundreds of (legit) emails via the service supplied with the component.

http://www.aspemail.com/

Simply setup the queue, and tell it to auth with your mailenable server.

If you don't like this approach, try dropping the e-mails you have created directly into the SMTP queue. This way you go around creating them and sending them via a COM object.