Yahoo, Hotmail delivery problems

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
mpdillon

Yahoo, Hotmail delivery problems

Post by mpdillon »

I have written a VB.Net app in Visual Studio 2008. I am using SMTP to send mail through my ME server. Mail that is sent to other users outside the mail enable server is received. However, if the account is a Yahoo or Hotmail account, the mail is never delivered. What is causing this behavior and how do I get mail delivered to Hotmail and Yahoo?
thanks,
pat

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

Whats in the SMTP log files ?

mpdillon

Post by mpdillon »

Thank you. In the log Yahoo listed a web site to visit to get my domain listed as acceptable. I will send email to hotmail and aol to see if they have similar services. Other than Yahoo, Hotmail and AOL are there any other Popular services I should worry about? (i.e. gmail etc.)

MartynK

Post by MartynK »

To be honest I have never had issues, but if you do and don't have any luck with these providers as they are not the easiest to solve, just smarthost those domains via your ISP if you can.

As for others, gmail, yahoo and hotmail, being some of the worst offenders are also the worst for blocking email.

johnd34

Post by johnd34 »

Does a normal test message get to them.

Such services love making up rules and blacklisting,
So try a simple message and see if your IP or server is blacklisted.
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk

mpdillon

Post by mpdillon »

John,
Thanks for the reply but no even a short test message sent from Outlook does not go through.
I was reading on Fri about the need for a Reverse DNS lookup. I have a static IP with Verizon. I do not know what a reverse DNS lookup is but I will contact Verizon and hope that they can help.
pat

johnd34

Post by johnd34 »

A working reverse DNS is expected.
Ask your hosting provider to set this up for you and then mae sure your dsn points to it in the other direction.

You may also want to look at setting up domainkeys and SPF

Also, look up the main domain blocking lists to make sure your IP has not been used before and is blocked.

Of course if you are using a server on a broadband or dial-up connection then you are likely to be in the range blacklists.
John D
JD Projects

Developer of E-Mailing Systems
West of England
Check out our email service built on mailenable
www.proserviceemail.co.uk
www.jdprojects.co.uk
www.smarterweb.co.uk