Removing Bounced Mail from Database

Discussion for developers using MailEnable.
whgpjay

Post by whgpjay » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:09 pm

We have a MySQL database of newsletter subscribers. I'm looking for a way to automatically remove e-mail addresses from the database when one of the newsletters bounces with 55x error codes (i.e. mailbox unknown, etc.).

Does anyone have any experience (and hopefully sample code) for this?

Thanks!

Jason

tschultz

Post by tschultz » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:47 am

There is a product that can help you it is called boogie pop. It is located at www.boogietools.com. It works great at identifying all the codes for hard and soft bounces. We then have it go into a database with the email address and then run against our list and remove the users.

whgpjay

Post by whgpjay » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:31 am

Would you recommend the Enterprise edition or the API? I'm thinking of purchasing the API and programming it to suit our needs (only if it's easy enough, i would consider myself a novice programmer). The cost of $699 for Enterprise Ed. w/ unlimited POP accounts is more than my boss would be willing to spend.

chisholmd

Post by chisholmd » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:33 am

I was reading up on this subject and the reccomendation was to stop sending after 3 bounces regardless of error code supplied.

This was from some consortium of email companies (Can't remember the name of the org). This reccomendation was due to the amount of non-standard error codes returned by various mail servers and mail admins. So rather then sort that out they just agreed to 3 bounces and your out.

Hope that helps :)

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:56 pm

This one is only $25 -

http://www.maxprog.com/EmailBounceHandler.html

so that's 20 times cheaper, has anybody tried it?

Lisa