Restrict SMTP Inbound to localhost

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
matthewspare

Restrict SMTP Inbound to localhost

Post by matthewspare »

I have been pouring thru the forums and documentation and need help. Maybe there is a better way to do what I thinking.
I have one server with MailEnable. I want only that server to be able to send email with SMTP. Is it possible to restrict SMTP Inbound to localhost? Or is there a better way that I am missing. I don't even want the email server to receive external authentication attempts.
Thanks in advance!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Restrict SMTP Inbound to localhost

Post by Admin »

Hi,

Did you want to allow any external inbound connections? Can't you just block the port at your firewall if you don't want any inbound connections? Or set the Access Control options under the Inbound SMTP settings to block any connection except from localhost?

matthewspare

Post by matthewspare »

Which is the Inbound Port for SMTP, 587? So, maybe block that. I was uncertain if blocking port 587 would stop me from sending. I'm a programmer, but I am clueless about networking and email. Thanks!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

SMTP uses port 25 generally for inbound. Port 587 is configured for users, since they may not be able to connect over port 25 to send email. Since you only want to send email, just block inbound to the port you have SMTP configured on.

Skandiacloud Hosting

Post by Skandiacloud Hosting »

Block port 25 inbound.

Allow port 25 outbound.