webMail and meAdmin on dedicated email server

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
cwizards

webMail and meAdmin on dedicated email server

Post by cwizards » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 am

I have been running a server with web and email for some time but I now want to move the email to a dedicated email server.

I think I have the email system running correctly on the new server and I have one web site running on the email server on which I have set webmail and meadmin, that works Ok for the local domain.

My problem is how do I offer webmail and meadmin for the other sites which are hosted on the other server (the web server), E.G. I have altered the path on the web server for one domain so the webmail virtual domain points to the webmail on the email server, but it will not allow me to log in (both servers have identical accounts and settings).

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Kogo

Post by Kogo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:34 pm

You will have to make some changes to your DNS settings - using whatever DNS service you are using. You should change the settings of your MX record to point to the new server, and you should similarly change whatever subdomain you use for webmail access to the new server as well.

So, webmail.domainname.com will point to your new server's IP address, mx.yourdomain.com will also point to your new server ip address, and your MX record for yourdomain.com will pint to mx.yourdomain.com.

Do a google search on MX Settings for more detailed info...