Outlook alternatives?

For any other discussion relating to MailEnable.
whodkne

Outlook alternatives?

Post by whodkne »

I've done some exhaustive searching and have, myself, found 4-5 clients touted as "outlook replacements"... I don't know yet if any of them actually have the capability to replace Outlook in an exchange environment. However, we are slowly moving to a ME environment and I think the opportunity there is ripe. Currently we're on MDaemon and they have an Outlook Connector that has been buggy, slow and unstable from the start. The ME Connector is a vast improvement but over the public internet, lots of messages, etc it still seems a bit cumbersome. And while the net result is that Outlook is still unresponsive many times, I have a feeling that is more Outlook than any connector.

That being said, I'm sick of Outlook. So I am hoping that I will be able to find a nice desktop replacement that will give me IMAP access to all email accounts and Cal/CardDAV access to contacts/events and maybe notes.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any reports or feedback?

Tried Thunderbird, too clunky. Here is what I'm testing:

Evolution for Windows
emClient
Zimbra Desktop

I'll report back if I get anything.

verybestsalvia

Re: Outlook alternatives?

Post by verybestsalvia »

I am also fed up of this outlook thing. It is not only time consuming but also hang up between the mails. That is why I am also in search of some alternate of outlook.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Third party COM and Outlook Extensions have a habit of creeping into Outlook - and these often cause stability issues. Many of the Add-Ins are not needed but still load themselves and impact all Outlook Profiles. Older versions of antivirus plug-ins and the Apple Change Notifier are examples of Add-Ins that can have an impact. It may be worth considering disabling some of the Addins and Extensions under Trust Centre.

In terms of Outlook integration, MailEnable is trying to go as close to providing the equivilant of the Outlook/Exchange experience (and as far as we are aware the Outlook/Integration we provide is superior to the synchronization/plug-in approach adopted by other vendors). The last release of MailEnable's connector for Outlook (1.40) is much better than earlier versions - and 1.41 is even better again. 1.41 can be downloaded from http://www.mailenable.com/mesetup141.exe (32 bit Outlook) and http://www.mailenable.com/mesetup141x64.exe (64 bit outlook) and will be released shortly. MailEnable is really committed to progressing this integration because its a clear differentiator. Newer releases are getting much faster and we are continually improving the stability (as mentioned, in many cases stability issues arise from integration with plug-ins that behave unusually - we of course sometimes have bugs of our own;-)). If you experience instability with the client, we would appreciate any feedback via the defect reporting section on the mailenable web site.

I agree with your opinions on Thunderbirdthunderbird+lightning(calendar)+ldap for Global Address List, etc... It is possible to obtain some of the key features of Outlook, but the end user experience is not comparable. I am sure once you commit to using TB/Lightning and forget the Outlook experience that it would be more palatable (coz the major features are there - it's just that they are fragmented - particularly from an installation/account setup point of view).

I will be interested to see what your experience is with Evolution, since I have not used it extensively.
Regards, Andrew

MaxDaniel

Post by MaxDaniel »

I never used outlook because I uses Ubuntu that comes with default evolution mail. It is very good and fast I also tried Thunderbird that looks pretty and also good.

vangmartin

Post by vangmartin »

I find outlook really complicated, that's why I don't use it.
Info about http://termlifeinsurancemales.com/life-insurance-by-age/term-life-insurance-age-36-to-40/ & http://termlifeinsurancemales.com/life-insurance-by-age/life-insurance-ages-76-to-80/.

MaxDaniel

Post by MaxDaniel »

Thunderbird is a good replacement for outlook that will work on both Linux and window.

NormanR

Post by NormanR »

I had to use Outlook at my previous job and it was a nightmare... It was too difficult for me to understand at first, but after some time practicing I found it rather useful at times, but still prefer regular online email providers like Gmail, for example.

Lanewil

Post by Lanewil »

MaxDaniel wrote:Thunderbird is a good replacement for outlook that will work on both Linux and window.
Agree, I've replaced Outlook with Thunderbird long ago :)

Jronicaing

Post by Jronicaing »

I am a newer joiner.I will obey the rule of forum. it my first time to visit this form .
i hope we can discussion more .and hope we discuss each other.and learn each other.

Netsupply

Post by Netsupply »

Thunderbird and Lightning all the way!