Indexing Service

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
dedicate-it.net

Indexing Service

Post by dedicate-it.net »

-- request that this service be set to use "Below Normal" thread priority.

We have been dealing with loading and "stall" issues on our ME installation - mainly due to some users having large inboxes (which is a war we cannot seem to win as a reseller).

In our testing, we have found if we set the MEMIS.exe Indexing service to "below normal" priority, that the server is much more stable, and does not have performance issues for IMAP users, as well as delays and stalls on our Plesk management software. Plesk offers "monitoring" that runs in the background - and we have found that many background processes on this server get hung waiting for processor due to 100% CPU usage of MEMIS.exe --

When adjusting the process priority manually, we see returned performance even when MEMIS attempts to use high processor for large indices.

Understandable if this is not an option - but wanted to offer as a suggestion.

ME is extremely efficient on resources with exception of processor hogging by MEMIS (which fights other ME processes for CPU cycles).

Thank you for your time.

poweredge

Re: Indexing Service

Post by poweredge »

Could it be this bug?
https://mailenable.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43976

dedicate-it.net

Post by dedicate-it.net »

No - in that case, there was a full application fault in MEMIS.exe refeferencing a missing object (which seems to be resolved in newer versions).

This is more along the lines of CPU resources consumed by MEMIS during indexing.

Currently, we watch the MEMIS process and set it's priority to "Below Normal" whenever it or the server is restarted - this greatly curbs the non-responsiveness from the server when MEMIS is processing large indices.

Whenever MEMIS is allowed to run at normal priority, it doesn't play nice with other applications at the same priority level - often consuming 100% processor while indexing, and limiting threads from other applications from executing. When we set the the "Below Normal" priority, this "hogging" of CPU plays much nicer with other applications and CPU usage (including not "stalling" our monitoring software).

R4LRetro

Post by R4LRetro »

I wanted to say, this should really be praised more. I've had Indexing disabled for the same reasons, but I can now re-enable it without destroying performance thanks to you. Hopefully the dev team at MailEnable can do this by default in the next release.