Option to rebuild _index.xml from webmail

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
DaRocker22

Option to rebuild _index.xml from webmail

Post by DaRocker22 »

We have a lot of clients that use webmail and some odd reason their _index.xml file gets wiped and only adds new mail, so when they go to their inbox they don't see their e-mail that was in there. Is there an option or can their be an option add so if they right click on the inbox that it can go and rebuild their _index.xml file. That sure would save alot of time and hassel. Currently we just drop in the _change.dty file in their inbox and have them hit their inbox again to rebuild it.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Re: Option to rebuild _index.xml from webmail

Post by MailEnable »

It is unusual for the file to go missing and it would be worthwhile checking the logs to determine why this is occuring.
Perhaps the store is networked and there is some write caching occuring.

In any case, if the folder is a Messages folder (ie: not Contacts/Calendar/Task) you can place a dummy file in the folder called _CHANGE.DTY and this will cause a scan of the folder to occur.

Alternatively, the fact that the _index.xml file is missing will cause a scan - so you could delete the file (you would most likely loose the read/unread and flag status of messages though). You should not delete the index for contacts/calendars/tasks though as I mentioned, because those folders are not rebuilt.
Regards, Andrew

DaRocker22

Post by DaRocker22 »

The file doesn't go missing, the contents are cleared and new content is added to the _index.xml file when new e-mail arrives. So its not appending to the file. This has happened on and off since we had version 2 when it came out.

The mail store isn't networked, just a local store on the server.

I don't think you read the original post, where i did state we are already using the _change.dty file in the their inbox file to rebuild their index file. The only seems to occur with users who tend to have like a ton of e-mail in their inbox like 3,000+.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

Yes, i skipped the sentence where you mentioned having used the change file.

I suggest you check the windows event log if the behavior occurs - since it is likely to contain more information (since write lock failures are recorded there). You mention it occuring with folders with > 3K items - did this appy to contacts as well?

It could also be an issue with what is being saved into the index; pontially causing corruption. If the problem persists, then the best approach in getting the matter investigated is by raising a support ticket under the defect category.
Regards, Andrew