Income mail limit size

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
DevelopStuff

Income mail limit size

Post by DevelopStuff » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:02 pm

Currently, you can set a server wide setting for mail message size limits... BUT ITS IN THE SMTP CONNECTOR settings.. Does that make sense? Yes for outgoing email through the SMTP.. but not for incoming mail from another SMTP... that should logically be taken care of in the POP3 server no?

The reason is is because I made an ass out of myself today insisting that since the mailbox limit was unlimited and there was no max message for incoming messages, only outgoing (assuming SMTP controlled only outgoing max mail size).. only to find that it is server wide..

Thanks,
Jake

sunpost

Re: Income mail limit size

Post by sunpost » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:44 pm

DevelopStuff wrote:Currently, you can set a server wide setting for mail message size limits... BUT ITS IN THE SMTP CONNECTOR settings.. Does that make sense? Yes for outgoing email through the SMTP.. but not for incoming mail from another SMTP... that should logically be taken care of in the POP3 server no?
i would say yes it makes sense for the SMTP to handle the limits.

SMTP handles the delivery of email for both oubound and inbound messages. these host-to-host transactions are what need to be monitored for limits. it is an SMTP-->SMTP connection, not an SMTP-->POP connection.

POP on the other hand is a protocol that allows a client to get to the mailbox contents. actually, with webmail/httpmail/IMAP, you do not need POP to view messages.

to test it, turn off the POP service and you will still get inbound mail.

hope that makes some sense. good luck :!:

DevelopStuff

Post by DevelopStuff » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:09 pm

Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate it! :) Now that I know how it works I see that it makes sense..

But still.. maybe a reference in the postoffice settings instead of SMTP connector?

Thanks,
Jake

sunpost

Post by sunpost » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:31 pm

yes. i think it would be ideal to be able to set the SMTP settings on a per postoffice, domain or IP basis. like the vitual SMTP concept that IIS SMTP uses. it would create some extra overhead, but since ME uses so few resources now, it might be a kewl option.

something like this would be a great addition to ME. i use an external filter, i only accept inbound connections from the service and backup servers. the service allows me to limit the size of inbound messages by domain and number of messages per day by user.

now, outbound SMTP routing is where i have a need for enhancements :!: