Report as Spam feature in webmail

Post your MailEnable suggestions here.
rfwilliams777

Report as Spam feature in webmail

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Based on what I can tell, the Report as Spam feature in the webmail just blocks the IP address of the sender. That works fine if the sender is say 1-800 flowers, Microsoft, Google, or other people who own IP addresses and never change them. But spammers lease a dedicated server, send out spam, and then when they get blacklisted or booted from their provider, they move onto another provider and repeat the process all over again. As a result, who nations or continents have to be blocked (which isn't easy to do) or when the spam originates primarily from your own country. The report as spam needs to do 2 things: (a) it really needs to report it to someone like Barracuda, Sorbs, or someone if a limit is hit from a particular IP address (which the limit needs to be configurable) and (b) it needs to block much more than just based on the IP address. It needs to block based actual similar header information--subject, content, sender information, etc. By only blocking IP addresses, after a year's time we have hundreds of IP addresses and most of them are now false positives as those spammers are no longer sending spam from those IP addresses. It is almost like a placebo having that button.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it, but as more of my users are using webmail, I have no true spam filter other than to block the world and only allow intra-office emails.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

aisonet

Re: Report as Spam feature in webmail

Post by aisonet »

I would suggest looking into getting spam filtering beyond what ME can do, the out of the box stuff is ok, but as a large email (thousands of accounts) provider running ME, we did a semi-custom spam filtering solution so where we get about 40,000-60,000+ emails a day, but to our inboxes only get about 25,000-30,000 emails, and most (99%) are not spam. The report spam feature we have go into a folder that we monitor and check for valid spam and do adjustments and spam reporting on that, instead of just outright blocking the IP.