No change needed
5%
I do not use DNS blacklisting
10%

Total votes: 21

fmaxwell

Configurable DNS Blacklist messages.

Post by fmaxwell » Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:45 pm

Mailenable currently has only a single (terribly lengthy) response when an IP address is found in a DNS-based blacklist:

554 The IP Address of the sender (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) was found in a DNS Blacklist SPAM database and was therefore refused.

Many of us blacklist countries (e.g., China, Brazil, etc.) using the databases on www.blackholes.us. So while I may choose not to receive e-mail from, say, Brazil, it does not mean that the sender's IP address is in a spam blacklist. I have already had one postmaster contact me (through another source) to ask which blacklist his system was listed on. This wasted his time and mine. I don't want some ISP's lawyer's suing me because my mail server told their users that the ISP was on a spam blacklist.

I want to be able to tailor the messages according to the blacklist on which it was found. Examples:

554 Mail from China not accepted here.

554 IP address listed in Dorkslayers blacklist (www.dorkslayers.com). Connection refused.

At the very least, we need the ability to change the single message to one that works better. For example:

Your IP is blacklisted. See blacklist.mydomain.com for details.

All of that aside, it is a tremendously useful feature and one that I'm overjoyed to have. Kudos to the MailEnable team.

Alyson_J

Post by Alyson_J » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:44 pm

I agree with you that it would be good if we could configure the reject response.

The RDNS Blacklisting works like a charm and I too am absolutely delighted. I'm watching the logs looking for false positives at the moment but so far 100% hit rate of spam identified actually being so.

Well done and Thanks to the Mailenable team.
Aly

fmaxwell

Post by fmaxwell » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:53 pm

Alyson_J wrote:I agree with you that it would be good if we could configure the reject response.
Thanks for the support on this one. The current one-size-fits-all message seems like it's asking for trouble. I do not like it telling everyone in, say, Brazil, that their ISP is on a spam blacklist. I don't need South America Online suing me for defamation.

But, as you say, the feature is superb! By the way, if you have not done so already, check out www.blackholes.us. They have blacklists by country and ISP. Very handy if you can use such lists.

mike123

Post by mike123 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:25 pm

It's important to be able to customize the message. I had the opposite problem with another email software (not ME). A customer sent an email to my company and it was zapped by the blacklist. The software was hardcoded to send a message and told them which list they were on. Problem was the people running the list had all this anti-spam propaganda on their site and a lot of it was pretty offensive towards spammers (which is ok with me cause I hate spammers a lot).

Problem was, this is a customer, and yes he's a bonehead for running an open relay, but he's also got a few projects with our company worth a few hundred thousand bucks and he was offended by the content that was presented to him.

When you use a blacklist for a company you have to remember that they may, from time to time, present themselves to your clients. Their website has to be mature and professional.

I was using a really awesome blacklist that was cleaning the mail really effectively but I had to switch to another, less effective list because the proffesionalism wasn't there.

So, if you can customize the reject message to say something generic and polite you can use whatever list you want and not worry that your customers will be offended.

fmaxwell

Good points.

Post by fmaxwell » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:59 pm

mike123 wrote:So, if you can customize the reject message to say something generic and polite you can use whatever list you want and not worry that your customers will be offended.
Thanks for the reply. At the risk of being repetitive, I'll say that the ability to customize on a per-blacklist basis is also important. Being able to indicate that the block is regional, because of a purported open-relay, because there is no postmaster address, etc. is very important. Telling somone that they are on a "spam blacklist" is not helpful. There are a few dozen blacklists and the criteria for each is different. As postmaster, I don't want to have to respond to irate senders who don't know why their message was bounced. I would rather be able to tell them what the problem was.