Email address is not available on the system occasional err

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
stanley

Email address is not available on the system occasional err

Post by stanley »

I am using MailEnable Enterprise Edition 6.53.

On one of my PostOffices I have a group address set up with 5 members in the group. Under normal circumstances when someone sends a mail to this group then the mail gets successfully forwarded to all 5 members in the group. However, every now and then when a recipient sends to the group they get a bounce back message from us that the mail could not be delivered because one of the user's addresses was not found on the server. This could happen for any one of the 5 users in the group.

The error message looks like:

Message could not be delivered. Error was: The email address is not available on this system

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[SF:mydomain.com/my_username]

When I check the log files for this event, I see:
Message to (FADC73D3C04C42FEA99DBEC1259B0035.MAI) could not be delivered because the Postoffice (mydomain.com) has been disabled by the system administrator

What could be causing this and how do I fix it? Obviously the mailbox DOES exist as, under normal circumstances, when someone mails the group the mail gets delivered successfully and forwarded to all group members. All the mailboxes most definitely DO exist on the system.

This has happened often enough that some of the automated systems sending us e-mails have stopped sending us mails because they thought we have disabled our mailboxes.

EDIT:
I have done more investigation and I see an error in Windows Event Viewer:

MailEnable Database Provider error: 0
FAILURE: (SQLDriverConnect), Module: MEIMAPS.exe; Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

This seems to be related to http://forum.mailenable.com/viewtopic.php?p=53157 and http://www.mailenable.com/kb/content/vi ... D=ME020535 but the setups in these links use MySQL as a database whereas we use SQL Server. Maybe this shines some new light on the problem?

227ths

Re: Email address is not available on the system occasional err

Post by 227ths »

Yes, it seems to be a database issue. The bug is still around, apparently. I am using newest version of Enterprise (v10).

Just had same issue after migrating to a new server/hardware. This also included a new instance of MS SQL server express.

Symptoms:
- Slow GUI performance. Slow populate of mailboxes. It all works, but it's noticeably slower.
- Random/occasional timeouts in Windows Event Viewer to SQL database corresponding to SF log timestamps.
These timeouts will show (in SF log):
".mai) could not be delivered because the Postoffice (example.com) has been disabled by the system administrator."
"[[SF:example.com/emailusername]] Message to (FF329FC462E34331A11A42CA3A74703F.MAI) could not be delivered because the Postoffice (example.com) has been disabled by the system administrator."
..even though 'example.com' is enabled and works other times.
- This means users can miss emails. Though it's an occasional error, >this cannot happen!< for obvious reasons.

Resolution:
- Open SQL server configuration in Start Menu.
- Click "Protocols for MSSQLSERVER" under "SQL Server Network Configuration"
- Enable TCP/IP (Shared Memory was only thing enabled on fresh install of 2016 SQL Server Express). Make no other changes.
- Restart all SQL services, or reboot.

This worked for me even though my SQL server shouldn't need to use networking - its a local/same machine service - all protocols are enabled for native client, too.

No more slow down, missed emails, or errors in logs. (Phew.)
Easy to fix - was not so easy to resolve.
I post this here since no one answered from years ago...

(Edit) - Still seeing this in Windows Event Viewer:
The description for Event ID 10000 from source MailEnable cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

MailEnable Database Provider (D:\Mailenable\Bin64\MEIMAPS.exe) error: 0
FAILURE: (SQLDriverConnect), Module: MEIMAPS.exe; Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Login timeout expired

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
But, not seeing the 'not found' errors in SF log anymore (so far).
The ME service shown above changes (not just imap). I see these roughly every 1-2 hours (or less) when server is active during prime time.
I checked old server and indeed I also see the same error - so it appears this has been present in past and never noticed it because it caused no problems. Be nice to know why it's timing out, though.