After upgrade to v1.23 we stopped receiving/sending emails!!

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
cyx

After upgrade to v1.23 we stopped receiving/sending emails!!

Post by cyx »

Good news is I found what was doing it. I think it's a bug in the installation/upgrade:

1. Open MailEnable Enterprise
2. Right-Click "Filters" (Inside Messaging Manager) and select "Manage"
3. Scroll down to: "Where the message size is more than limit"
and double-click it.

Here was the bug!
The size field (bytes) was empty! but the rule was enabled!!!
Disable this rule or enter a valid byte size, and all your problems will
be gone.

Hopefully :)
Rafael B.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

The installation/upgrade does not touch the any of the underlying configuration files. Perhaps a control panel application has modified the filters because there is no forseeable way that it could have occured with the MailEnable upgrade.
Regards, Andrew

cyx

Well... Here's a thought.

Post by cyx »

Well, the fact stays that we lost 2 whole days of emails, because the SPAM filter just deleted everything. On Friday the mail was working fine, like it was working for the past 2 years with MailEnable. After I upgraded to v1.23 (from version 1.0 something) we didn't receive emails until I went into the server today.

As a programmer, this is the logic:
1) Either the upgrade/installation enabled that option inside the SPAM filter, and if we never had it enabled, it didn't have any value in it. So it deleted any message with any size.
2) Or.. Somehow it erased the value in there in upgrade/installation.

All these settings are in the registry? or a config file? where is it?

THE ONLY OTHER THING I did while trying to fix the problem: I deleted and cleaned all logs. Deleted them, got read of 'em. Isn't there a place in MailEnable that I can set a maximum value to the logs files and dirs? in order for ME to cleanup by itself?
Rafael B.

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable »

What I am saying is that the MailEnable installation would not define the filter or modify any criteria as part of the upgrade itself. The most likely explaination is that the filter existed beforehand (pehaps with null or invalid values), but somehow a registry setting was modified to enable all previously defined filters.

It is possible that the installation might have enabled filtering as part of the installation - but its not easy to explain how the installation could have create a new filter and assigned criteria for it.

The wise install log should indicate which settings were changed by the MailEnable installer hence allowing further diagnosis. If you still have it, perhaps raise a support ticket as an installation issue and someone will be able to investigate further.
Regards, Andrew