MySQL ?

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
globalmcs.net

MySQL ?

Post by globalmcs.net »

Have anyone setup ME Enterprise with MySQL ?

I installed MSQL 2005 last nigh and the sql services memory usage grew over nigh to 200+ MBs.

I just want to know what version of MySQL people are using, and how the configuration process is?

Thanks!

Dodecatec

Post by Dodecatec »

I am using MySQL 5.0.20 on my mail server. It was a breeze to set up and it functions beautifully with the MyODBC driver.
It does not seem to like to use named pipes, though, so you'll have to let it use TCP/IP to connect.

MSSQL 2005 certainly is a memory hog, but it's likely way overkill for a MailEnable server unless you are hosting tens of thousands of clients.
Even MySQL is quite a bit of overkill, but it sure is nice to have the config in the db for management.

As far as how easy it was to set up, I had better luck getting it to work with MySQL than MSSQL 2005 since ME didn't want to use the .NET2.0 SQL Native Client (you should fix that, MailEnable).

Dodecatec

Post by Dodecatec »

As a side note, another consideration with MSSQL is licensing.
Unless you're willing to fork out nearly $6000 for a single processor license, or unless you know how many users you will have and buy that many user licenses, you will be in violation of the Microsoft licensing terms for SQL Server.

globalmcs.net

Post by globalmcs.net »

I'm going to do some more testing with MSSQL 2005 is defiantly nice to keep the configuration on a database, I only have 250 accounts and the server is a P4 2.4GHz with 1.5GB of RAM. In the worth case I'll have to add some more memory.
What’s your memory usage like? and how many accounts do you host?

Thanks for the reply!

Dodecatec

Post by Dodecatec »

The MySQL memory usage is generally under 100MB. The ME db is really very tiny.

That is with five post offices and several dozen to over 100 mailboxes in each.

globalmcs.net

Post by globalmcs.net »

I was able to configure the Memory usage by MSSQL 2005.
I went in the SQL Server Management Studio and in the Server Properties there is a “Memory” option where you can adjust the Minimum and Maximum server memory.

It worked good today I’m going to keep monitoring it and see how it goes!
Thanks for you reply

crnunez

Post by crnunez »

Hello globalmcs.net,
I have one question. Where is the menu Memory on "SQL Server Management Studio"??

I can not see the link on this image:

Thanks!!!
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

globalmcs.net

Post by globalmcs.net »

Right Click on the Server name "PHOENIX\..." go to Properties > and you will see the Memory option on the left menu.

crnunez

Post by crnunez »

P.D.: The problem with this version is the big hidden properties...
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

Dodecatec

Post by Dodecatec »

I noticed your version number there..
If you don't already have a bunch of databases using anything that will be affected by it (not likely unless you use old or insecure features), it's a good idea to apply the service pack released by Microsoft for SQL 2005.
Not only will it plug a few holes they found, but it fixes a few quirks the studio and server had as well as adds a few nice little features, polishing it off a bit.
Best to start from the patched version than to get into production and then decide to patch it later - saves a potentially major headache.

With regards to limiting MSSQL memory usage: Sure you can do it, but why shortchange your server? If what you are looking for is top performance, then limiting the memory that the DB server wants to use is not a way to do that. If 200 +/- 50 MB of memory is no problem to you, then just let the MSSQL service run and use whatever memory it wants. After all, if you can afford the $5000-6000 license per processor for the MSSQL server (required if you want to run legally), you can afford the $100-200 for another GB of memory.

The problem I kept running into with ME is that it doesn't seem to like to use the SQL 2005 Native client. Instead, it uses the old client.
Have any of you found a way around this? ME just seems to overwrite my settings every time I change the DSN to use the new client.