Snip for Debug log. whats it mean?

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
jbrochu

Snip for Debug log. whats it mean?

Post by jbrochu » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:33 pm

DNS error 9501 for domain mirabilis.com when checking for valid sender domain. Connection accepted

Does this mean its allowing email in from invalid sender domains?

BrandywineITS

Post by BrandywineITS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:20 pm

It means it allowed an email in from a domainwhich has no DNS records. It certainly "SHOULD" be refused, but ME does not block it, and I can find no way to do it otherwise. I say it "should" be refused because no DNS records would equate, in my mind, as not having a PTR record, nad failing the DNS checks.

Anyone from ME have anything to add to this issue?

MailEnable
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:39 pm

That line in the debug log indicates that MailEnable is configured to check whether the domain is registered before accepting e-mail from the sender.

It does this by checking whether the domain itself is registered and whether there are any valid MX records for the host.
In this case, the domain is registered, but there are no MX records found for that domain. MailEnable assumes that the domain is valid in this case (because it would be too strict to refuse on these grounds).

When checking for DNS records, if a domain itself is not registed, then the lookup request will return DNS_ERROR_RCODE_NAME_ERROR (9003).
In your case, a value of DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS (9501) was returned.
This would mean that there are no MX records defined for the domain, but the domain itself is registered (ie: the domain has nameservers that respond to lookup requests).
Regards, Andrew