non-english characters?

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
seattletype

non-english characters?

Post by seattletype »

I'd like to see about blocking (filtering?) cyrillic spam... any suggestions?

Marconius

Post by Marconius »

Create an advanced filter that looks in the headers for

Code: Select all

charset="windows-1251"
as that is the cyrillic character set. Then have it do an action like mark it spam, or something based on whether it meets that criteria.

If you do any dealings with a place that uses that character set, then this may prove problematic, but otherwise it should work. Now this won't work in image spam that uses russian, or if whatever spam program doesn't insert the charset info. Another thing you might try is a country block. Unfortunately ME doesn't support this feature (although I really wish it did). You have to go third party like MEFilter or eWall to get this going. You can also do country block through Windows IPsec, but it is a PITA to do.

seattletype

advanced filter?

Post by seattletype »

So where would we find the "Advanced Filter" you mention? I know where to find the basic To: CC: Subject: etc. line filters.. but Advanced?

Marconius

Post by Marconius »

In the filter section in the MMC create a new filter.
When you are configuring the filter it has 2 options that are radial buttons, the first is "Use standard criteria" and that lets you pick from the pre made scripts. Then there is "Use criteria script" and then the "Edit script" button becomes selectable. Then you edit the script and put in your criteria that you want.

Here is a guide for the syntax.

http://www.mailenable.com/mailenable/he ... ipting.asp

Also, you can search for advanced filter or advanced script in the forum search and you will probably come across a few more examples.

seattletype

and if no charset?

Post by seattletype »

Hi.. that filtering does help, but we're getting a slew of russian spam that has no charset defined ... next suggestions?