Cannot send mail in web mail (but can receive)

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
richtalbot

Cannot send mail in web mail (but can receive)

Post by richtalbot »

Hello,

We are having problem with our web mail in the fact that we cannot send any e-mail from any log-in.

SMTP works fine (eg. Microsoft Outlook) and we can RECEIVE e-mail via web-mail, but when we compose and send, whether it be to an external URL (eg. hotmail an other known working e-mail address) or to our same postoffice local e-mail, it does not actually get sent. It appears to (it's shown in 'sent mail' and 'draft' folders) but the mail never arrives at any of the recipients.

We have .NET version of web mail running on IIS 6, windows 2003 server with service pack 2. Only 1 postoffice (named 'postoffice').

I have checked the file structure of our data repository, and cannot see any mail in the queues system, quarantine and 'bad mail'. So I can't figure out where the mail is actually going.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Rich

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

When you send again check the SMTP logs does the transaction get listed in the activity log as an outbound message?
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

algrendh

Post by algrendh »

Same problem as stated in original email.

Mailenable pro 2.36, not enterprise.

In WebMail, emails when sent, are placed in Sent and Drafts folders but do not show up in *ANY* log file in ME. Emails are being sent to multiple domains hosted here & elsewhere. Are they supposed to be placed in these two folders when you click SEND?

I've read ME020196

When sending a message from web mail, the following happens:

1. Web mail places a message in the Post office connector inbound queue.

The email is not being placed into any folder that I can see. I've even turned off MTA and sent an email from webmail and checked the folder it's supposed to be placed in. Not there.

I've also installed the MailEnable tracking utility. HTTPMail window shows logfile started but no entries.

The diagnosis report shows everything passing except for Imap, which is turned off.

Need more information? Any idea where to look next?

Thanks guys!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If you are running 2.36 then my first suggestion would be to upgrade to the latest 2.38 version located here: http://www.mailenable.com/mailenableent.EXE

The following KB article can assist you with the upgrade procedure: http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticl ... 020040.htm

The HTTPMail log files you refer to are no the log files that webmail uses. They are logs for the HTTPmail service. You need to go through the MTA, SF and SMTP log files. Or use the message tracking utility.

regards,

MailEnable Support.

Oguz

Re-instal with ASP webmail solved it for me.

Post by Oguz »

I just found a work-around that worked for me... I re-installed ME and chose ASP instead of .Net for my webmail.
I have been having the same problem you guys described with the latest ME Pro. Not nice. My customers are quite unhappy.
I hope this helps for you.

Oguz

Followup

Post by Oguz »

I re-installed ME again, this time choosing .NET, over the current installation and the problem has not returned.

Two weeks ago I had a hard drive failure and was forced to re-install windows and recover ME emails and config from backup... The webmail problem was due to the fact that I has using a fresh intallation with .Net libraries only over my ME Config, that was using .NET before the crash but must have had some settings that needed the ASP files from before when I upgraded from ME version 1.x

I guess your upgrade to .NET is not as complete as I assumed. I did not remember seeing this in the upgrade notes but I didn't read every line.

To summarize, If you need to reinstall and you have data files that were once using ASP version of Webmail, regardless if you have upgraded to .NET or not, you need to install twice, once with ASP webmail, reboot, then again with .NET, reboot, and you should be fine.

k3di

same problem

Post by k3di »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I had installed MailEnable 2.37 Professional with .NET version of webmail. And then realized that cannot send email via webmail interface. Then found this topic whle I was searching for solution on the net. The ASP.NET version is 1.1

According to MailEnable-Ian post, I upgraded the mailenable. But it did not solve the problem. And also tried the followwing posts recomendations, no way... The problem is still there...

What can be done to solve this problem. There must be a solution. Could you please tell me the solution step by step.

Thanx in advance.

Oguz

Post by Oguz »

I did the following:

Installed the application, latest version, again over itself and choosing ASP and not .NET for webmail.

I tested and webmail was sending.

I then re-installed again, over itself, and chose .NET. The problem did not return.

Try re-installing with the ASP webmail and test first, if it doesn't work you have a different problem and hopefully the mailenable guys can help.

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

If there is no error in the web page when you send the message then the message should be making the MailEnable services in which case there should be an error in the MailEnable Post Office connector, MTA or SMTP logs. Track the message through the logs and see if you can see where it is failing?

I have not seen any instances where the process of Oguz has been the resolution and would be surprised if this was the fix directly. The more likely explanation was some permissions were updated on the re install or some other environment or infrastructure issue was resolved in the IIS .NET on upgrade.

If you cannot find the problem using the methods above then please submit a support call so we can check for you. If there are any charges associated they will be refunded if the problem is a MailEnable defect.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.

k3di

Post by k3di »

Hi,

thanks for your replies. Oguz's recomendations did not work. And while I was checking the logs there are only logs for incomming messages like

Code: Select all

"Local Delivery: Address ([SMTP:xxxx@xxxx.xxx]) is local."  
and

"09/19/07 00:29:09	SMTP-IN	2155EBD57D664E83BFAD720A5A43AE2F.MAI	480	111.111.111.111	RCPT	RCPT TO:<xxxx@xxxx.xxx>	250 Requested mail action okay, completed	43	28" 
in SMTP logs or

"09/15/07 00:17:17	[52F3A64EAEF44FC1AD4BEA9CF450DB59.MAI] from (SMTP) [SMTP:xxx@xxx.xxx]->[SF:xxx.xxx/xxxx] Mapped Literal"
in MTA logs for my test email address. And there are no error messages on the webmail page about what is going on. The mails I sent are in the sent items box of the webmail interface.

Are the log examples meaningful for solving the problem? If they are not could you please tell me how to open a support call, and what should I have for opening such a call?

Thanks in advance...

MailEnable-Ben

Post by MailEnable-Ben »

There is a version 2.39 available at the following location please upgrade to this to ensure you are running the latest release. Available from;

http://www.mailenable.com/beta

After the upgrade is completed here are the steps for the best test and log referral;

1. Login to web mail and send a message to ben@mailenable.com
2. Check the Post Office connector debug logs for a message going from your account to ben@mailenable.com
3. Open the MTA activity logs and check for the same thing.
4. Open the SMTP activity logs for a message that is going from your mailbox to ben@mailenable.com if you cannot find it search the debug logs for any noticeable errors at the time of the message being sent.

Let us know at any stage in the above test that the message cannot be found in the logs.

If you want to submit a support call regarding this then go to the MailEnable web site and select SUPPORT->Raise a support ticket and enter the relevant information. Any charges that may be applicable will be promptly refunded if the issue is found to be with MailEnable.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

k3di

the problem was solved

Post by k3di »

Thanks for your helps.

The problem is solved after upgrading to version 2.29. Again, thanks for your helps.

Regards

consultorpc

Post by consultorpc »

Hi,

We have this problem also on v3.52 and the update to v3.53 doesn't solve this, any ideas ?

Note: there is not output in log files (MTA nor SMTP). The email via webmail get stuck in drafts and sent always.

Thanks in advance.

consultorpc

Post by consultorpc »

Finally, in our case this was due to a permission mismatch in IIS on Webmail site.

SoHoAlex

Post by SoHoAlex »

Make sure the web user (for example NETWORK SERVICE) has enough ntfs permissions in the MailEnable Queues folder.