Smart Host / SMTP / Spam fighting questions

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
paulfred

Smart Host / SMTP / Spam fighting questions

Post by paulfred » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi there,

Currently our customers and we are being flooded by spam mails. We have tried the build-in features of ME - this has caused a lot of trouble and discussions with our customers, so we have to do something else.

We have implemented a couple of Exchange Servers with GFI Mailessentials and would like to use this solution for ME as well.

There are a few posts here in this forum from users that have been able to setup ME to work with GFI-ME - unfortunately nobody has posted how they have done their setup.

Remark 1
From what I have understood is, if we would like to setup Mailenable AND Mailessentials on one machine - we need to IP-Addresses. -> Okay. We have a few "IP's" left.

Remark 2
GFI-Mailessentials is configured as "visible" SMTP server - let's say on "62.x.x.1". Mailenable is configured in the background on "62.x.x.2".

Remark 3
Mailenable is setup to use a Smarthost for sending E-Mails.

So far - so good. But now I have a few questions:

Question 1
How our customers do sending out E-Mails in the future? Do they send E-Mails to the Smarthost? And the rest is done by magic?

What I think is that our customers are send mails to

1) Smarthost -> 62x.x.1
2) Smarthost is forwarding this particular E-Mail to Mailenable -> 62.x.x.2
3) Mailenable authenticates this particular user and redirects this E-Mail to -> 62.x.x.1
4) E-Mail being sent to somewhere....

Or am I wrong?

Question 2
How do I prevent Spammers to use the IIS SMTP service as a perfect SPAM Relay. Does the setting provided by MS will help to sort out these nice guys?

Please help.

Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Alexander

lschafroth

Post by lschafroth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 am

Has anyone ever tried GFI?

I would like to see answers to the previous posters questions.

Lannie

polarisie

Post by polarisie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:02 pm

I would try to keep things simple by just using the GFI Server as incoming relay (which scan for spam) and then have your outgoing emails sent out as per normal

As for IIS SMTP relay, you will need to set the right allowed IP addresses with permissions to relay. This should solve it

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

lschafroth

Post by lschafroth » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:42 pm

polarisie wrote:I would try to keep things simple by just using the GFI Server as incoming relay (which scan for spam) and then have your outgoing emails sent out as per normal

As for IIS SMTP relay, you will need to set the right allowed IP addresses with permissions to relay. This should solve it

Cheers
how do you do this when you have only 1 public ip address?

all incoming SMTP via port 25 goes to teh GFI and this kills the ability for users to authenticate to send email as their accounts are on ME not the GFI server.

polarisie

Post by polarisie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm

lschafroth wrote:
polarisie wrote:I would try to keep things simple by just using the GFI Server as incoming relay (which scan for spam) and then have your outgoing emails sent out as per normal

Cheers
how do you do this when you have only 1 public ip address?

all incoming SMTP via port 25 goes to teh GFI and this kills the ability for users to authenticate to send email as their accounts are on ME not the GFI server.
It would be easier to setup with 2 IPs, are you running the servers from your office?
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com