Rebuild Postoffice Directory

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
rockinthesixstring

Rebuild Postoffice Directory

Post by rockinthesixstring »

I have to move my config from one server to another but I do not want to move the Postoffice directory because of it's sheer size.

Is there a way to rebuild the Postoffice Directory Tree automatically? I want to make sure the "Inbox" is created for the new server.

I am also wondering if there is a method "other than the SQL Migration Tool to create the flat files? or is there a way to call the migration tool from the command line?
Chase
Server 2008 Standard (x64)
ME Ent 6.51 (SQL Server 2008 Config)
ASSP 1.9

fe

Post by fe »

Hello, if I understand correctly, I believe the following ROBOCOPY command line will recreate directory structure while excluding the files.

Code: Select all

ROBOCOPY \\source_server\postoffices \\destination_server\postoffices /E /XF *
System Administrator
Humphreys College

rockinthesixstring

Thank you for your post, but that is not what I am looking for. I want to build the directory structure out of the .TAB files.

If there is not an option out there, I will be implementing my own in .NET... I would prefer a prebuilt one from ME though.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

rockinthesixstring

bump.

This is very important for me, Ian, Ben... any suggestions?

Basically I have a client that is scared of an issue happening with his installation of ME.

My thought is to do the following

1) somehow export the sql data into flat files (maybe a command line option or something)
2) Ftp the command files over to the backup server running MEStandard
3) rebuild all postoffice directories from some command line option
4) use Simple Failover to automatically change the dns entries to point to the secondary server... this way the client will have access to the mail server even when the primary is down.

The client does not want to invest into another copy of ME Enterprise.
Chase
ASSP 1.9

paarlberg

Post by paarlberg »

I am migrating to a new server and found a work around.

Use winrar and create a zip/rar file and exclude *.mai files. You could also do *.xml, *.dat, *.nfy, *.cf*.

You will get a clean directory structure transferred to the new server.

I also did a rar/zip for the config folder and moved that over. I just verified that everything is recognized by ME.

The only issue is the license doesn't transfer over and it looks like you are out of the eval period. But that is nothing major and can be easily fixed.

Now you can ftp all the files from the other server and accept all new mail on the new server. I am using ASSP for spam filtering so I will just tell it to point to the new server instead of the old one (it is on the old one).