Mailenable web and exchange server local - how to full sync

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
duncanf

Mailenable web and exchange server local - how to full sync

Post by duncanf » Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 am

Hi folks, just arrived.

I've just taken a plesk box running windows server and I'm pleased to find mailenable on it and the features it offers.

However, our ISP connection is less than reliable so I'm wary of using the outlook sync which is perfect for what we need. We can survive without email access for short periods but the business info from our clients comes via email and is highly critical, we also have surveyors offsite who would rely more on web access.

I am however shortly going to putting in a local PDC server probably running either MS SBS 2003 with assurance upgrade for 2008 or Xandros server 2

What I want is a full exchange alternative on the web (mailenable) and a local solution on our network and a full realtime or close as full sync between them so the office can function and webmail access is possible when the links severed and a resync on its return. Thats contacts, files, basically the full 9 yards if possible rather than just email.

I have two options :

1 - MS Exchange locally and a way to fully sync. Does a solution exist and can mailenable clustering support exchange or is it just other mailenable servers.

2 -Scalix Xandros server 2 edition, is the above question possible with scalix.

Thirdly rather than deploy scalix with xandros would mailenable be possible to integrate with Xandros server 2 easily and then I suppose it would be easy to cluster two mailenable servers.

I would really appreciate any answers or thoughts on this, havent got long to find a solution.

Many thanks in advance.

duncanf

Post by duncanf » Tue May 20, 2008 12:38 am

Anyone?

Dont like to bump but it would be helpful if anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks.

dreniarb

Post by dreniarb » Thu May 22, 2008 11:57 am

Not sure if this is helpful or what you're looking for, but I have quite a few customers that use Exchange and Mailenable together. Exchange listens on port 27 and mailenable on port 25 and 26 (for isp's like sbc that block home users on port 25).

Mailenable has all the email addresses set up that Exchange has. All email addresses are configured to forward email to user@exchange.domainnamehere.com. There is a mailbox set up called exchange.domainnamehere.com, and it's smarthosted to 127.0.0.1:27.

All users in Exchange have an second smtp address with @exchange.domainnamehere.com, so it will accept the emails from Mailenable.

Exchange also is set to send mail out to 127.0.0.1.

I have this set up because I like the functionality of exchange (and the webmail interface) but HATE the inability to really track messages. Plus I can use Mailenables spam filtering capabilities.

BTW, mailenable is set to leave a copy of the emails in their inboxes, and I have a script that runs every night and cleans out any emails older than x number of days. As a backup JUST in case someone says they never received a certain email. Happened only once, which caused me to do this.

duncanf

Post by duncanf » Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 am

Sounds interesting, what version of mailenable and exchange are you running?

dreniarb

Post by dreniarb » Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm

all versions of exchange and ME. There's no dependence on any one version.