Mail not being delivered after an upgrade to Ver 3.53

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Allen

Mail not being delivered after an upgrade to Ver 3.53

Post by Allen »

Hello,

We just performed an upgrade to ver 3.53 this morning and though everything looks Ok on the server after the upgrade, the SF Outbound queue is currently at 6,000+ and growing. The SMTP Inbound is at about 700+ and growing. We've looked at the logs, the diagnostics, etc. and do not yet know where the issue is.

Any ideas are appreciated at this point as we work on this. All services appear normal and working, but these two queues continue to grow.

Thank you.
Allen Burnett
Storm Technologies Group, LLC

Allen

Post by Allen »

Hello,

The SMTP queue is down to 300+ and dropping, but we are still seeing the SF Outbound queue growing and currently at close to 7,000.
Allen Burnett

micrisc

Post by micrisc »

did you check to see if you server is acting like an open relay?
You want to make sure that your server requires authentication to send email.

Allen

Post by Allen »

Thanks micrisc,

These numbers are due to volume. When mail is not being delivered to mailboxes for an hour or two they quickly grow.

Current status is
1,000+ in the SMTP Inbound queue
8,200+ in the SF Outbound queue

The server does require authentication to send mail.
Allen Burnett

scngan

Post by scngan »

do u perform a server restart after the update ?

Allen

Post by Allen »

Thanks scngan,

Yes, several restarts and d-checking everything in ME. No errors in the logs or good indications yet of the issue.

Best wishes.
Allen Burnett

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

We are still having issues with this, the queue has cleared but half of the email has not been delivered it just seems to have disappeared, it's as if 80% of the postoffices are no longer mapped.

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

On most messages we are getting the following in the postoffice connector logs

09/04/08 04:17:16 [4AD7D65BEF4048FE961EC281B00C040B.MAI] Mailbox (example) could not be found on postoffice (example.com) and message bounced.
09/04/08 04:17:16 [4AD7D65BEF4048FE961EC281B00C040B.MAI] was deleted as NDRs disabled.

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Looks like random mailboxes in random postoffices have just disappeared, they've gone completely, they still exist in the database and users are still able to POP them, the mailbox folders still physically exist in the postoffice directories but viewing via the MMC they are not there, is there any way to resync/remap it with the database?

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Allen are you still having issues with your outbound queue. I know if you had your server down momentarily for upgrades, then yes the queue fills up quickly and it does take a while for things to trim down. I also adjusted the timeout on the SMTP from 1000 down to 100 or 50, doing this has helped a lot with the issue of the timer continuing to climb. I agree with the other suggestion about the relay; however, if you never had to relay before it doesn't make any sense you should now.

SH, are you still having problems?
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

Allen

Post by Allen »

Hello Robert,

Thank you and yes we are still seeing issues. Not w/ the queues anymore, but the issue that Keith went into on the three posts above.

We are currently trying to correct the issues.

Best wishes and thanks for checking and for any ideas re these latest updates.
Allen Burnett

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

What version did you upgrade from? Do you have the passwords encrypted? I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it does help with eliminating things. :)
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Just an update on this, we were able to/are in the process of restoring all the MAILBOX.TAB files using the MErecovery tool, we have some issues like lost forwarders, catch all's etc but we are working through them.

We do though have an issue with webmail that is adding to our issues, not sure if anyone has seen it before. Mail is being delivered to the inbox OK but the entry is not being written to _index.xml , if you delete the file then it's recreated, the email in the mailbox on recreation shows however subsequent email is not added to the index file and even though you get a notification of a new message it does not show in the inbox of webmail.

I've ruled out permissions as I added full perms for everyone to the file to test and still not joy.

I have also checked HKLM->Software->MailEnable->MailEnable->Services->Webmail->Options->Index Files enabled = 1 and it is.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated, thank you.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

How many e-mail accounts and domains are you hosting? If not too many or if you IT staff can do this (or want to), I would honestly recommend back up the e-mails in the accounts, backup the auth.tab file, uninstall ME, remove all ME files, and install from scratch. Depending on how many accounts/domains, you should have everything up in less than an hour or so. Let us know if you need any help.
Robert Williams, Owner

SH-Keith

Post by SH-Keith »

Hello Robert

Thanks for the reply we have 1900 postoffices/domains on the server, I think it may take more than an hour to do, what you suggest.

Email is flowing and we are slowly rebuilding the postoffices, webmail is the thorn in our side currently and something we need to fix asap.

Best Wishes