ME Enterprise 3.6 HTTP problem

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
wembley2000
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 am
Location: United Kingdom

re MMC MailEnable issue

Post by wembley2000 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi there

I have just investigated and in MailEnabe Management > Servers > Localhost > Services, I cannot find HTTPMail is there supposed to be a tree value for HTTPMail as there is for all others such as IMAP etc?

Is this why I cannot access HTTPMail?

If this is missing yet the service is started, how do I put it back?

Regards

Jason

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin
Posts: 9144
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi,
I have never been able to solve the error 0x800cccf4 error on my server, even after upgrading to v4 (evaluation for now).

Anyone got any idea of why this might be happening even though I have enabled the service and set this to automatic?

Please help, this is now really annoying and has caused me many an hour heartache/pain


For the error 0x800cccf4 normally this would indicate that a firewall maybe blocking the connection. Are you able to use Internet Explorer and use the following URL to see if you are prompted with credentials to login to the HTTPMail service.

http://servername:8080/mehttpmail
On investigation

I do have one question though, the HTTPMail Service use me_system user account yet the LDAP uses 'local system'. Would this make any difference as to the service being accessible or not?
Yes this is correct. The POP, HTTPMail, IMAP and SMTP services will be running under the IME_SYSTEM account if the MailEnable server has been locked down (configured by default when upgrading/installing MailEnable). This maybe contributing to your problems if the IME_SYSTEM account does not have permissions to access the MailEnable folders. In order to determine if this is the case when trying to login via OE run a file monitoring utility named filemon located at: http://www.sysinternals.com and configure the utility to filter on the "MEHTTPMail.exe" service whilst logging into the account to see if there any permission errors.

More information in regards to MailEnable lockdown can be found here: http://www.mailenable.com/security/lockdown.asp
I have just investigated and in MailEnabe Management > Servers > Localhost > Services, I cannot find HTTPMail is there supposed to be a tree value for HTTPMail as there is for all others such as IMAP etc?

Is this why I cannot access HTTPMail?

If this is missing yet the service is started, how do I put it back?
In version 4 the HTTPMail service has been added as a synchronization option within the "Synchronization" branch.

EG: Servers>localhost>services>synchronization

Right click on "synchronization" and access the properties window. Next navigate to the "HTTPMail" tab.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

wembley2000
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by wembley2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 am

Hi, yes I am propted with a username and password; it appears that the firewall is not blocking me.

After entering the correct details though, I get a page telling me that it cannot be displayed.

Regards

Jason

wembley2000
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by wembley2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 am

I have also noticed another error when attempting to download the inbox headers error code 0x80070057

Any ideas?

Regards

Jason

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin
Posts: 9144
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 am

Hi,

PM sent.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin
Posts: 9144
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 am

Hi,

Ok the problem was that in the Outlook Express account servername settings window, you had: http://www.domainame.com:8080 and not http://www.domainame.com:8080/mehttpmail

Making the above changes in outlook express resolved the OE errors.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

wembley2000
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by wembley2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 am

This hasn't fixed the problem, I still can't use Outlook and view messages or a domain (see PM).

I get the error 0x80070057 when downloading headers for the inbox.

Regards

Jason

wembley2000
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by wembley2000 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:55 am

I don't know what was going onhere, but after playing with the windows firewall on my 7 box, I have HTTPmail working just fine.

Thank you for all your help and advice, it was most helpful.

Firewalls clearly have to be configured in a ariety of places including, server, client machine and routers. It is therfore important o notethat it is worth checking all of these.

Thanks MailEnable Support you are most excellent.

Regards

Jason

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin
Posts: 9144
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:57 am

Hi,

Glad you found the culprit.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Post Reply