How do IP's get added to IP Address connection restrictions"

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
kiamori

How do IP's get added to IP Address connection restrictions"

Post by kiamori » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I have a web server with an IP that I had set to allow relay in mailenable for web forms, however the IP showed up in the "IP Address connection restrictions" and caused the forms to stop processing. What would cause an IP address to show up in this list?

Once removed from "IP Address connection restrictions" everything is now working properly again. I do however want to make sure this does not happen again.

Error from the web form was something like this:

Send failure: System.Web.HttpException: The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc7c. The server response was 530 ##SERVERNAME## ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 7.09--7.09 denied access at 08/11/13 16:41:07 ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040211): The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc7c. The server response was 530 ##SERVERNAME## ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 7.09--7.09 denied access at 08/11/13 16:41:07 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams) at System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) at System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) at System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) at ASP.index_aspx.ContactForm(Object sender, EventArgs E)

kiamori

Re: How do IP's get added to IP Address connection restricti

Post by kiamori » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Found it under SMTP security, Connection Droping.

To find the cause I was looking in the logs but I was unable to find it in the logs, what log would it be under?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How do IP's get added to IP Address connection restricti

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 am

Hi,

It could be the SMTP "connection dropping" or the "Abuse detection prevention" option under the "Localhost" properties "policies" tab. Did you remove the IP address from the SMTP "Inbound" "Access Control" list manually? If so then the Connection dropping option would have added it automatically. This can occur after the total amount of invalid SMTP commands are issued to the service (value is set by the connection dropping option under the SMTP Security tab). The SMTP debug log will log when this limit is reached.

If the IP was banned by the "abuse detection and prevention" option then the IP will not be added to the "Access control" list. It will be held in cache memory and released from the ban after one hour. The IP can be banned the same way as the connection dropping after 10 invalid SMTP commands are issued to the service. This is also logged. You can also restart the SMTP service if the IP needs to be released before the one hour ban is up.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

keith@vfsremote.com

Re: How do IP's get added to IP Address connection restrictions"

Post by keith@vfsremote.com » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Hello,

I too am having this issue. I was wondering what the lifespan is on those connection drops. Meaning if it is set to 20, is that 20 dropped connections over 24 hours or forever.

Thank You,

Keith
Keith Damron
Manager of Customer Support

VisionFriendly.com
1245 E. Diehl Road, Suite 307
Naperville, IL 60563
630 553-0000 x112
Keith@visionfriendly.com