migration tool and mark as read

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
crittle1

migration tool and mark as read

Post by crittle1 »

I use the Migration tool to import emails. It takes a very very long time for anyone with a lot of emails, sometimes several days for one mailbox. With that said I have a few questions if someone knows an answer.

1. Is there an easier way to migrate mail from another server using IMAP that doesn't take that long?

2. Emails do not show up when I use the migration tool . I have to use a _CHANGE.DTY file to make the server see the emails when they log in. Then there is the problem of marking thousands of emails as read. Is there another way to make the server see the emails that are migrated in without using the _CHANGE.DTY file?

3. Is there a command line I can use to mark all emails ( including subfolder emails ) in a specific persons mailbox as read? That really would make my life easier.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by crittle1 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: migration tool and mark as read

Post by Admin »

Hi,

Are you running 8.01? This is a lot faster than earlier versions in migrating, but it still only makes one connection for one mailbox. So if the mailbox is large, or the connection to the remote server is slow, then it will still take some time, as it works just like an IMAP client (would be the same speed as an email client downloading all the email). The 8.01 should resolve the read flag issue and not showing up.

crittle1

Post by crittle1 »

Oh great! I haven't upgraded and will do that today. You know, although it only accepts one window to migrate, I open multiple instances and import several at a time. Surprisingly it doesn't slow down each connection , they run at the same speed if I'm importing one or several. Thanks for the response.

crittle1

Post by crittle1 »

I've upgraded and tried the import again. It is much faster but I still have the problem of the email not showing then having to either 1. put the _CHANGE.DTY file in and marking everything as read. or 2. create the mailbox after the import and recover the emails which prevents me from adding the _Change.dty file manually. I still have to mark as read though... Any suggestions?

** Also something else that is note worthy... When I have to mark everything as "READ" I have to sort the mailbox with the oldest mail showing first... then tick the box to select all and "Mark as Read". If I do not do it this way, iPhone will sort the IMAP mail showing the oldest mail first ( or show it as the most recent ). You see, iPhone sorts mail by last modified first rather than making the newest mail first. Therefore if I just tick the box in ME and select "Mark as Read" without sorting first, it messes everything up in the iPhone. Make sense? I'm importing an email tonight with more than 18,000 emails and close to 30GB and several hundred subfolders. It's going to take me forever to mark as read :,(

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I'd suggest lodging a ticket with Mail Enable and providing access to the both the server and details of the migration strategy so that a technician can then diagnose and emulate the problem directly on server.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support