How to create SPF records - Please help me

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
rfwilliams777

How to create SPF records - Please help me

Post by rfwilliams777 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 pm

My mail server hosts email for me and for my clients. My mail server resolves well for SPF records and whatnot for me well, and although I have SPF records for my clients, they seem to pass and fail. My SPF records are TXT in a Windows DNS with a value of v=spf1 a:mail.domainname.com ~all. Each domain has that record with their respective domain name. You can validate mine SPF of mail.williamswebsolutions.net but try say mail.eagleautomation.net.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and get your first 2 months FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How to create SPF records - Please help me

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:04 am

Hi,

When you say pass and fail can you provide more details or examples? Using nslookup and performing a lookup for txt records for the domain eagleautomation.net nothing is returned.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and get your first 2 months FREE!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi,

The results returned from: http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?act ... tworktools report that a txt record is not found.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:11 am

I know...and yet, I have a TXT entry in the DNS server that is an SPF record.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 am

Hi,

Ok not sure as this would point to a DNS resolution issue. Does it return the SPF txt record if you try and perform an nslookup on the domain locally on the server?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

isaak

Post by isaak » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:52 am

Implementing SPF/TXT records, is not an easy task. Specially if you are working with many domains under the same server, domains that might be from your customers.

How to set a record for each domain for this purpose, what to include and what not to, how to test if it will fail or pass, etc... are just some important questions to answer before trying to implement this. Send me a PM and I will be more than glad to assist you with this important information and help you through the process of implementation.

Best Regards,

ShawnKHall

Post by ShawnKHall » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:35 am

Unless you're using accounts like joe@mail.williamswebsolutions.net then checking that domain for SPF records is a waste of time. Assuming you're really using email addresses like joe@example.net then you do have an SPF record applied. It's broken though. You have the following:

Code: Select all

v=spf1 a mx ptr a:mail.williamswebsoluions.net ~al
It should probably be:

v=spf1 a mx ptr a:mail.williamswebsolutions.net ~all
Note there are TWO changes there: a T in the domain and another L in the others parameter at the end.

Realistically, though, if you're doing hosting for others, then you'll want to setup a primary spf record and refer to that one within the client domains. Your primary would something like the above, but you'll want to use something like this in all of your customer SPF records:

v=spf1 include:williamswebsolutions.net -all
This means 'check this domain for a valid SPF rule' and 'only allow those authorized by that rule'. If they'll be using constant contact or something else, you can then tune THEIR rule without affecting the global rule that applies to all other customers.
-Shawn