Considering upgrade from 6.83 to 8.x

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Ptarver

Considering upgrade from 6.83 to 8.x

Post by Ptarver »

I currently run MailEnable 6.83 with approximately 1,000 email accounts of which a significant number use their email with their phones. I'm guessing the number would be roughly 50% or more. We have an SSL certificate to provide SSL services for IMAP, POP3, SMTP, etc. (We do not use HTTPS at this time). We have a lot of users who utilize the web mail (Mondo skin) and we use MXScan for anti-spam. We use the .TAB files rather than SQL data storage.

I'm considering upgrading to 8.x and I wanted to know if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

1) Most importantly, are there any major issues with upgrading from 6.83 to 8.x.
2) Are there any discontinued features or features that are significantly changed from 6.83 that my clients should be aware of?
3) How long does the upgrade normally take?
4) Assuming the worst and the upgrade crashes and burns, how difficult is it to revert to 6.83 or is that even possible?
5) Has anyone using MailEnable with a large client base gotten any feedback from their users? Do they like it? Do they notice?
6) Are there any key features in 8.x that are significant to users or myself that stand out in anyone's mind since they upgraded?

Just looking for some assurance and confidence that the move to 8.x is the right one for us at this time and I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Paul
Paul Tarver
Tarver Program Consultants, Inc.

rfwilliams777

Re: Considering upgrade from 6.83 to 8.x

Post by rfwilliams777 »

First, I've continued doing the upgrades through the versions of 6.x on up to 8.56. So I will say that you will be pleased with the benefits with everything...and your users will like the improvements. I, though, would HIGHLY recommend you start with a clean install versus just overinstalling. I have noticed some ghost issues of things--not cirtical or major, but they do exist--that had I done a clean install on a clean machine, I would not have them. Along with that the Beige skin is no longer supported but the files remain during the over installs; so if you install onto a clean server you will have a clean version.

Concerning a roll back, I certainly would not recommend from that drastic of a version change. If you're committed to going into 8+, then do it...but to minimize any potential issues, do it from a clean install.

Now I do understand that a clean install means either import or manually recreate everything. Some people have done the import but I stick to the fresh install with accounts and all that freshly set up. Again, you're starting fresh with new issues--if any--and not issues brought up due to something that didn't mesh right. And even if it takes a few days to do the install and get everything going, it'll be worth it in the end.

If you were to do the upgrade, it depends on if you do the backup. If you do that--and depending on how much has to be backed up--it could take roughly 30-60 minues. If no backup, 15-20. If a fresh install, 5-10 minutes.

Just to let you know, we've helped a number of companies with both the upgrades and fresh installs--even when going from previous versions--so let us know if you'd like to hire us to do the work.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

muhammad.wasif

Post by muhammad.wasif »

I am wonder Paul if you have upgraded your email server to 8.x, please update with your experience.

RF Williams, you want him to create approx 1000 new email boxes on new server? what about users old emails?

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

I've done it before in creating all the accounts and whatnot manually. I've never had a migration problem and did not need to contact ME support because users cannot access the accounts later or things are not working right. You just have to have fast fingers. Once the accounts are created, I always recommend migrate the DNS. Once you've tested and approved the accounts are working like they should (try one or two), then move the mail. I do it via FTP. Then delete the index files.
Robert Williams, Owner
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!

muhammad.wasif

Post by muhammad.wasif »

Ok. Deleting index files in each folder of thousands of email boxes but what about those users who has huge inboxes, when they gonna access their mailbox, it will takes hours to create index files.

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Index files don't take long to automatically create when the user logs into their webmail or access it via Outlook or whatever. Actually, depending on how much I/O is going on with your drive, it takes a couple of seconds for the index files to be created. If it takes a while, you have a drive failing.
Robert Williams, Owner