Mailbox Reports Full after Files are Fully Deleted

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
bellaonline

Mailbox Reports Full after Files are Fully Deleted

Post by bellaonline » Wed May 06, 2015 4:06 am

I am doing cleanup after migrating my mail to a new server. I'm emptying out the mailboxes of departed editors.

First I forward all their mail to my home system, to make sure no important recent question is being missed. I do that via the direct interface on the server. I tell it to delete the mail as I do that. It's just easier for me to scan and delete everything in Outlook than via the online interface.

However, even after I do that, the mail quota still reports the original number.

I even log in to the editor's account via the web interface and make sure there's no mail left in the sent folder and such.

Looking at Windows explorer, the folder for the editor reports maybe 160k. But the web interface and the MailEnable program both report 10mb of space used.

How do I get MailEnable to realize all those messages are gone?

I do have mail set to count all folders toward the quota, which is what I want.

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Mailbox Reports Full after Files are Fully Deleted

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed May 06, 2015 4:48 am

Hi,

The reason is that the DIRSIZE.tmp file reporting the quota size has not been updated. To force an update delete the file in the root mailbox folder.

Mail Enable\Postoffices\(postofficename)\MAILROOT\(mailboxname)

Login to web mail and retest
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline » Wed May 06, 2015 4:56 am

That did work, thanks!

I have over 400 editors in the system. Will I have to do this manually for every single editor as I work through cleaning up mailboxes? Is there a way to do this automatically?

Also, will they update properly going forward? Any thoughts on what is causing them not to update?

I did run all the CACLS commands after moving, including two separate ones on the postoffices directory for IME_ADMIN and IME_STORE_GROUP

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed May 06, 2015 5:17 am

Hi,

I tried using the mailbox "Delete messages" and delete all messages and the DIRSIZE.tmp file was removed instantly. Is this what you are doing to delete the messages in the mailbox properties within the administration console?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline » Wed May 06, 2015 5:23 am

Ian -

What I'm doing is to go to a mailbox in the console, go to properties, messages, and then 'forward all email.'

I forward it to my home mailbox, "from" that site's mailbox.

I check the box for "delete email from local mailbox"

When I hit forward, the messages all clear out.

Sure, that doesn't handle sent mail, but that's not a big concern for me. It would be nice if it had the option to just dump the entire mailbox, though.

But, anyway, even though that removes the mail from the mailbox, the quota-full alerts still show up on both the console and web displays.

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed May 06, 2015 5:32 am

Hi,

I will test the forward all email when I have some time. In the interim use the other option to delete messages under the "General" tab - "Delete Inbox Messages > Delete all messages.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

bellaonline

Post by bellaonline » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 am

OK so forward without deleting, and then separately after that delete the inbox messages?

I thought the forward would forward all folders, not just the inbox. I thought it only left behind the sent mail. Is that true? I'd like it if the forward really did forward everything including the sent mail. That way I could easily clear out a mailbox for the new incoming editor to use.

Just another feature request for your spare time :).

Lisa

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Wed May 06, 2015 5:39 am

Hi,
OK so forward without deleting, and then separately after that delete the inbox messages?
Correct.

No it only does the Inbox.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support