MailEnable vsn 9 new anti-spam features

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
pootwaddle

MailEnable vsn 9 new anti-spam features

Post by pootwaddle »

Hi!
I'm trying to understand and enable the new anti-spam features from version 9.0
I specify MY server a lot here because each server will have its own population and therefore
its own requirements.

1. EHLO blocking - is this an exact match string? Does it require the double-quotes as the example?
My wish - wildcards. Example: *.link would block any EHLO that ends with .link (for MY server that is a spam TLD)

2. I see the location services and block connections from any country other than. For MY server, all my authorized
senders are local USA so I should only check the United States check box, correct? Does that control anything other than
"authorized senders"?

3. Filter - I wish to filter out any non-us email sent TO my server. The only possible exceptions would be from Canada,
UK, or Australia (Germany?). For MY server, pretty much any other country will be spam.
I see where I can filter on a Single country, but how do I handle a list of countries?

Is there were a way to specify TLDs to drop, preferably at the smtp connection point? THAT Feature alone would be a real
spam killer for my server. In a way, they correspond to country TLDs, but there are new ones like .xyz and .link and .review,
etc. that are proving to be just new avenues for spam.

And, finally, I'd like to share with you what I've done using batch files. I have greylisting set up for my server (4 minutes between
allowed connections). In the background I have a batch file that runs every minute that deletes the greylisting entries in the
MailEnable greylisting folder (.tab files) for any undesirable TLD or IP - so it deletes "*.xyz *.tab", for instance (note the space which is important...) This makes a never-ending
greylisting situation where the undesirable tlds should never find an entry already there to match and therefore let the email through.

Thank for any help, any discussion.

Bryan

crnunez

Re: MailEnable vsn 9 new anti-spam features

Post by crnunez »

Hello,
Where Can I find location services? "2. I see the location services and block connections from any country other than. For MY server, all my authorized senders are local USA so I should only check the United States check box, correct? Does that control anything other than
"authorized senders"?
I can not find the menu option...
Thanks.
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

crnunez

Post by crnunez »

pootwaddle wrote:Hi!
I'm trying to understand and enable the new anti-spam features from version 9.0
I specify MY server a lot here because each server will have its own population and therefore
its own requirements.

1. EHLO blocking - is this an exact match string? Does it require the double-quotes as the example?
My wish - wildcards. Example: *.link would block any EHLO that ends with .link (for MY server that is a spam TLD)

2. I see the location services and block connections from any country other than. For MY server, all my authorized
senders are local USA so I should only check the United States check box, correct? Does that control anything other than
"authorized senders"?

3. Filter - I wish to filter out any non-us email sent TO my server. The only possible exceptions would be from Canada,
UK, or Australia (Germany?). For MY server, pretty much any other country will be spam.
I see where I can filter on a Single country, but how do I handle a list of countries?

Is there were a way to specify TLDs to drop, preferably at the smtp connection point? THAT Feature alone would be a real
spam killer for my server. In a way, they correspond to country TLDs, but there are new ones like .xyz and .link and .review,
etc. that are proving to be just new avenues for spam.

And, finally, I'd like to share with you what I've done using batch files. I have greylisting set up for my server (4 minutes between
allowed connections). In the background I have a batch file that runs every minute that deletes the greylisting entries in the
MailEnable greylisting folder (.tab files) for any undesirable TLD or IP - so it deletes "*.xyz *.tab", for instance (note the space which is important...) This makes a never-ending
greylisting situation where the undesirable tlds should never find an entry already there to match and therefore let the email through.

Thank for any help, any discussion.

Bryan

Good questions.
Regards,
Robert N.
Zona Hosting - Hosting y Servicios Profesionales en Internet.

pootwaddle

Post by pootwaddle »

crnunez wrote:Hello,
Where Can I find location services? "2. I see the location services and block connections from any country other than. For MY server, all my authorized senders are local USA so I should only check the United States check box, correct? Does that control anything other than
"authorized senders"?
I can not find the menu option...
Thanks.

Hi crnunez - I right-clicked on everything in the snap-in and looked at the "properties" where they are available.

I found this under servers/localhost properties. Then there is an Auth Policies tab in the properties pop-up.
Hope that helps!
Bryan