ME Greylist Whitelist bulk update

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
delta2

ME Greylist Whitelist bulk update

Post by delta2 »

Hi,

My clients are experiencing delays of 24+ hours for some emails sent via outbound.protection.outlook.com

I obtained a list of IP addresses used by outbound.protection.outlook.com by scraping the SMTP-Activity log for the past few days.

I would like to whitelist 500+ ip addresses used by *outbound.protection.outlook.com (and eventually by other provideres aswell).

1. Will this degrade performance ?

2. How can I manually insert the whole block ? I couldn't find a corresponding tab file in the ME config folder to the "SMTP Properties - Whitelist" option in the MEAdmin interface.

Thanks.
Stuart

delta2

Re: ME Greylist Whitelist bulk update

Post by delta2 »

For the time being I'm using wildcards ..

157.56.110.*
157.56.111.*
157.56.112.*

... etc.
Stuart

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The whitelist IP's are stored in the registry. Use the reg key export as example and add the IP's that way to a .reg file and then import them:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Mail Enable\Mail Enable\Connectors\SMTP\White List]
"127.0.0.1"=dword:00000000
This will have an impact on performance for the SMTP service when performing the lookups and may slow the processing of inbound emails down. I think you may want to look into upgrading to version 9. With Version 9, domains that have SPF records can now be whitelisted by MailEnable, significantly improving the effectiveness of Greylisting. What this means is that you can add the sender addresses domain to the greylisting exceptions list and will be excluded if the senders domain resolves to a valid SPF record and bypass the greylitsing.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Ruffs

Post by Ruffs »

May I ask where that setting is Ian, as we have 9 Enterprise and we are still observing such delays in receipt of emails from outlook.com in particular.

Whilst TechNet is helpful in producing a list, such as:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn163583

MailEnable doesn't seem to allow CIDR form whitelist exclusions, so for .128 up to .255 we have to manually enter all of those, which is painful.

I would appreciate being guided to where to whatever setting and where it is that enables this SPF improvement to greylisting.

Thank you.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,
May I ask where that setting is Ian, as we have 9 Enterprise and we are still observing such delays in receipt of emails from outlook.com in particular.

Whilst TechNet is helpful in producing a list, such as:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn163583

MailEnable doesn't seem to allow CIDR form whitelist exclusions, so for .128 up to .255 we have to manually enter all of those, which is painful.

I would appreciate being guided to where to whatever setting and where it is that enables this SPF improvement to greylisting.

Thank you.
The option is under the SMTP greylisting tab within the exceptions lists. If you add a domain that has an associated SPF record it will bypass the greylist check.

http://www.mailenable.com/documentation ... sting.html - "Allow IP and domain exceptions to the greylisting"
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Ruffs

Post by Ruffs »

Hi Ian,

Thank you for that.

We do currently have domains in that list, but it seems those that are still Office 365 related do still encounter delays.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Would really to know the domains and check the DNS records for the domains. Perhaps private message me the details and Ill take a look.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support