URL Blacklisting configuration

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
ShawnKHall

URL Blacklisting configuration

Post by ShawnKHall » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Good morning.

I added a couple URL blacklists to the SMTP configuration in order to minimize spam over the weekend. Unfortunately it became way too aggressive and instead of rejecting messages, it appears messages were then deleted after receipt, so the sender wasn't given a rejection message -- and messages appear, from their end, to be delivered fine.

I'm concerned about how the configuration works. The "Enable URL Blacklisting" box is checked and I've added dbl.spamhaus.org and multi.surbl.org and multi.uribl.org as new blacklists. However, the only lookup type available is "DNSBL (IP) blacklist lookup" within the "configure blacklists" window.
ip-only.png
ip-only.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
URL blacklisting is only supposed to lookup domain names and *never* re-map those collected domains to the IP address. Is there a configuration problem, or is the lookup type just not reflecting the true implementation of this feature?

The other issue is that the "enable URL blacklisting" box was checked by default, even without any URL blacklists configured. Did this have no effect at that point or is there a "magic" built-in list?
enabled-empty.png
enabled-empty.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
Finally, since it appears that messages are being removed AFTER they're delivered without notification to either side (after DATA), does the "action when detected" of "don't accept the email" really work or is it a misrepresentation of function?
dont-accept.png
dont-accept.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
For now I've disabled URL blacklisting, awaiting your response.

Thank you.
-Shawn

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: URL Blacklisting configuration

Post by MailEnable-Ian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:49 am

Hi,

The MailEnable URL blacklisting feature does not allow for the lookup of the domain and will only perform the lookup on the IP address. We currently have an issue in the internal register for this to be reviewed for a possible inclusion in the future.

As for the URL blacklisting feature being ticked by default it is just enabled. There is no "magic" list. The option is simply enabled but is not performing any lookups.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

telecomputers

Post by telecomputers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 am

How are we to know when the URL Blacklisting is FIXED?

Also on the DNS Blacklisting - where in the logs (which log file) can we see where the mail is "not accepted?"

Thanks -

Appended: Log files are in the "Logging" folder - each file is based on the date (i.e.- ex161225.log)
You will see the IP address followed by +Blocked+by+Baracuda+Block+List or +Blocked+by+SpamHausZEN
Last edited by telecomputers on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j@mes

MEpro 9.61
JAM Software - SpamAssassin in a Box
ClamAV / Sanesecurity

telecomputers

Post by telecomputers » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Just to clarify for others who may be wasting a lot of time (as we did) trying to get this to work:
Capture-SMTP-DNS-BL.JPG
Capture-SMTP-DNS-BL.JPG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
The top section DNS Blacklisting IS working.

DNS Blacklisting is to identify known spammers within the selected lists by IP address.

The bottom section URL Blacklisting IS NOT working.
I would respectfully suggest ME grey this area out until such time that it is working.
Why allow your customers to waste hours of their time attempting to get the URL Blacklisting services working?

URL Blacklisting blocks spam by looking up the known spammer "Domain Name" (payload) used within the text of the message.
This uses specific lookup services like multi.uribl.com and multi.surbl.org that are lists of these spam Domain Names.
We are using Spamassassin to do the URL Blacklisting.

Hope this helps and that you find this while you still have some hair left on your head.
j@mes

MEpro 9.61
JAM Software - SpamAssassin in a Box
ClamAV / Sanesecurity

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm

What I use is MXScan as the primary spam filter and only use ME's spam filter as a secondary (not as aggressive) filter. As a result, spam levels have dropped and things are much more controllable. The configuration is fairly simple without having to understand positive and weights for scoring.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and get your first 2 months FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

sahostking

Post by sahostking » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:51 am

Is this still an issue?
Hostking - web hosting south africa and web hosting uk

sahostking

Post by sahostking » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:53 am

Added an image from latest version 10.31

Still seems to be a problem?
Attachments
uri.png