403 Forbidden Active sync error

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Ehenzel1978

403 Forbidden Active sync error

Post by Ehenzel1978 »

Hello all,

My MailEnable activesync app pool hung up last night, along with the W3SVC.exe service. After I restarted them, I am getting a 403 Forbidden error when I test from the Activesync management app, and an authentication failed from any of the devices I try. Any ideas as to why that may be? Nothing with the permissions has changed, I haven't changed any of the configurations. The only thing I did was to stop and restart the w3svc, then the WAS services, and the stop and restart the MailEnableEASPool. I have done this before when they hang up, and have not encountered this issue before.

I am running ME 8.61 on a Windows 2008 R2 machine with IIS 7.5.
Eric Henzel
IT Department
Leather Italia USA

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: 403 Forbidden Active sync error

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

The application should not hang like you have described and require restarting. If this is occurring regularly then there is most likely some other errors occurring prior to the application hanging. Also when you say hanging what do you mean? Are you no longer able to sync any device? Do you see any Windows event log errors relating to MailEnable for the HTTPmail service and WAS? Ensure that the MailEnableEASPool is running the 4.0 Framework as well as 2.0 can be problematic and cause the application pool to crash. If the problem is persistent then I would suggest lodging a support ticket for a managed response and provide RDP login details to the server so that a MailEnable technician can review the relevant log files and configuration.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Ehenzel1978

Re: 403 Forbidden Active sync error

Post by Ehenzel1978 »

Thank you for your reply Ian.

The EASPool is running 4.0, and it doesn't happen regularly, but it does happen maybe once every 90 days or so. When it hangs, I get an error that tells me the service is unavailable from the Activesync management Application that is bundled in with MailEnable, and any device trying to sync will give up after about 60 seconds. Yesterday was the very first time that I got the 403 Access forbidden message.

I have checked the logs, and I don't see anything that specifically mentions the ME HTTPmail service or WAS, but I do see a warning event that the W3SCV has been recovered from a non-responsive state.

I was able to get everything back up and running by doing a full restart on the server. That makes me think that it might be one of the dependent services that hangs up, one of the ones windows doesn't let you have control over.
Eric Henzel
IT Department
Leather Italia USA