Changing password policy

jglazer

Changing password policy

Postby jglazer » Tue May 23, 2017 12:58 pm

In an effort to ensure that passwords are hard to guess I am considering changing the password policy on the server. The questions are:

1. What effect will this have to current passwords
2. Is there any way to force users that have password that violate the new policy to change their passwords?
3. Assuming the answer to #2 is yes, I assume they change it through webmail? Is there a facility built into this to allow them to enter their old password and then their new one?

Thanks!

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Changing password policy

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Thu May 25, 2017 12:21 am

Hi,

In an effort to ensure that passwords are hard to guess I am considering changing the password policy on the server. The questions are:

1. What effect will this have to current passwords

It will not affect current passwords and only come into play when users change their passwords or you create new mailboxes.

2. Is there any way to force users that have password that violate the new policy to change their passwords?

No you will need to determine which ones don't meet the policy by using the "Check existing passwords" option under the "policies" tab. Once you have a list of them send them an email indicating they need to change their password via web mail to meet the new password complexity.

3. Assuming the answer to #2 is yes, I assume they change it through webmail? Is there a facility built into this to allow them to enter their old password and then their new one?

Yes under the web mail options page under the "Login" node you will see the fields to enter their current password and their new password.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support