Accidentally marked all mail in Inbox as spam...

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
ProvideAmerica

Accidentally marked all mail in Inbox as spam...

Post by ProvideAmerica »

I accidentally marked a client's inbox as all spam and deleted several hundred -- nearly a thousand in fact -- messages he was storing there and I am hoping that there is a trick or technique available so I can recover all those legitimate pieces of mail. I'm in a mild state of panic right now and would appreciate ANY suggestions that would help me undo the disaster I created.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Accidentally marked all mail in Inbox as spam...

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

When you say marked as spam, did you select the entire list of messages and then right clicked and selected the "Report as Spam" option? If so then you maybe able to recover the messages depending on what action the report as spam is set to. You can check this by navigating within the administration console to: servers > Localhost > Services and Connectors > Web mail. Right click on "Web mail" and select properties. Next navigate to the "Spam" tab and check the action for report as spam. If set to move to spam folder then you will find the messages in that spam folder path. You can then navigate to the folder on the server and copy the .MAI files back into the clients folder path. You will then need to create a empty text file via Windows Notepad and save it as _change.dty and place it in the mailbox folder so that the _index.xml file is updated with the new items.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support