Migration

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
wisp

Migration

Post by wisp »

We want to move our mail server to a different location.

To copy the entire messages to the new server will take many days.

In the mean time, is there a way to

a) move only the empty mail boxes to the new server and move the old messages in a phased manner?

or

b) Is it possible to leave the old messages in the old server and bring the old server down to the Mailenable standard version for accessing old email while moving the Enterprise license to the new server.

wisp

Re: Migration

Post by wisp »

Hi all,
Are my questions very stupid, is that why I have no response? :D Please help.

moegal

Re: Migration

Post by moegal »

not sure what is recommended but i can tell you what i did.

I used RDP and robocopy MIR to move all of the data during the course of a week. It took several days. Then i would run robocopy again every night until my scheduled crossover night to keep the data current. I used MIR so the latest robocopy's only took an hour or so.

I set up the new server in the meantime and moved all of the config files.

Then I shut down both server, did one last robocopy to make sure i had the latest files, changed the DNS settings and turned on the new server.

The permissions were screwed up but there is some support for that somewhere(i think what I have below will work, but do you own research). I would hope there is an easier way. The backup utility was taking too long, I wanted to have mail only down a few hours.

Below is the general idea.

Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Config" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Config" /MIR
Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Dictionaries" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Dictionaries" /MIR
Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Postoffices" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /MIR
Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Bad Mail" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Bad Mail" /MIR
Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Queues" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Queues" /MIR
Robocopy "D:\MailEnable\Postoffices" "\\tsclient\D\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /MIR

HERE

CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Config" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Queues" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Bad Mail" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Logging" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Queues" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Logging" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Bad Mail" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Config" /t /e /g IME_SYSTEM:F
CACLS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_STORE_GROUP:F

CACLS "D:\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_ADMIN:F
CACLS "D:\Mail Enable\Postoffices" /t /e /g IME_STORE_GROUP:F

Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound" /MOV
Robocopy "C:\Program Files\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound\Messages" "\\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Mail Enable\Queues\SMTP\Inbound\Messages" /MOV