Issues/bugs with Webmin (10.10)

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Maranda

Issues/bugs with Webmin (10.10)

Post by Maranda »

I found a few quirks within the web administration with a sysadmin:

In the Usage section
- Monitoring-Summary or Monitoring-Detail don't output anything (blank frame)

In the System section
- Attempting to restart a service from the webmin fails stopping the service and prompting a popup warning "Error: action could not be completed" and in the event log I see a corresponding "General: (MailEnable System Option Provider (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\w3wp.exe) error: 1056) Could not start service. Error = 1056", Stopping and Starting the service works instead
- If I select "Services" I get a "XML validation error: no root element" found regarding /Mondo/Servlet/request.aspx?Cmd=
Last edited by Maranda on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Issues/bugs with Webmin (10.10)

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

I'm unable to emulate this behavior in 10.10 web admin. What browser are you using to access web admin? If you try and access web admin locally on the MailEnable server via http://meadmin.localhost or http://localhost/meadmin do the same problems arise? If you use an alternative browser do the same problems occur?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Maranda

Post by Maranda »

The test I conducted where on an internal lan ip, with intranet dns entries for the .local domain for the webmin IIS site, didn't actually test locally because I removed the hosts file entries MailEnable added. The browser I previously used was latest FireFox (Quantum), I just retried on latest Microsoft Edge:
- Into Usage, I get still blank frames clicking Monitoring-Summary or Monitoring-Detail
- I get a blank frame clicking "Services" (without selecting any of the services) in System instead of the validation error xml wise
- I still get the same error attempting to restart a ME service in the system section (instead of using stop and then start)

I'll add some more detail, the webmin is localised in Italian and the OS is Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials (which despite the name basically is Windows Server 2012 Standard with Essentials Exp added). Hope it helps.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

Please add the host file entry for meadmin.localhost and add the host header back under our website bound to 127.0.0.1 to test locally on the server. See if the same behavior occurs. I know you mentioned its all internal but you didn't mention if you are accessing the interface via our website or via a custom site as a virtual directory, hence the reason to add the entry back to the hosts file and test locally under our website.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

Maranda

Post by Maranda »

MailEnable-Ian wrote:Hi,

Please add the host file entry for meadmin.localhost and add the host header back under our website bound to 127.0.0.1 to test locally on the server. See if the same behavior occurs. I know you mentioned its all internal but you didn't mention if you are accessing the interface via our website or via a custom site as a virtual directory, hence the reason to add the entry back to the hosts file and test locally under our website.
Sorry I didn't mention it before, I access the site via the standalone website just not locally (via LAN). I retried as you said and accessing it via localloop interface does indeedly sorts out Monitoring-Summary and Monitoring-Detail but doesn't sorts out service restarts which still fail with error 1056 as opposed to stop and start which works.

(Also the browser used on the server is IE11)

Maranda

Post by Maranda »

Ian,

I had sometime to investigate this a bit further and I found a culprit at least for what regards the issues on the System Monitor.
Apparently the problem is related to Gecko based browsers like Edge and Firefox, because Internet Explorer 11 (Trident-based) doesn't seem to be affected at all and I can get the monitoring graphs correctly irregardless of how and from where I do access the webmin.

Diggin a bit more calling Mondo/Servlet/Request.aspx?Cmd=GET-SYSTEM-MONITORS&Format=JSON directly in Firefox I noticed that the browser fails to parse the JSON output with:

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: expected ',' or ']' after array element at line 1 column 682 of the JSON data

Edge doesn't seem to complain when calling the servlet directly, explicitly at least, but still outputs a blank frame while IE11 has no problem with it.

Hope this helps,
Marco.