damaged index of a mailbox ???

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
diego_nacato

damaged index of a mailbox ???

Post by diego_nacato »

I have a mailbox with thousands of emails (almost 20 GB) and only in the imbox folder had 19000 emails, but from one day to the next it appears that there are not emails in that folder, enter the server and look for the folders and the index is damaged because there are the emails I need, how can I solve this problem ????

Admin
Site Admin

Re: damaged index of a mailbox ???

Post by Admin »

By "damaged" do you mean that the index is missing messages? Or you are getting some disk error? If the index file gets corrupted, it will be moved to _index.bad and a new index file generated. If there are errors with the indexing these will be logged to the Windows event log. So check there to see if there is an indication of the problem. Also make sure you are running a recent version, in case it is an issue that has already been resolved.

rfwilliams777

Re: damaged index of a mailbox ???

Post by rfwilliams777 »

First, delete all the index files with no one logged in via Outlook (IMAP) or the webmail. Second, I would archive a lot of those messages. The more inbox emails you have, the longer it takes to update the index files and the more likely you will have issues with emails disappearing, not updating when moving, etc. For some of my users who have years worth of emails, I created folders with the years and then moved the respective emails into those folders. Do NOT put them under the Inbox but as a regular root folder (because it also gets indexed with the regular inbox index files which creates even more problems). In fact I recommend no folders under Inbox if possible. Your problem will go away. I have seen it in various versions of ME and this seems to be the best resolution.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!