Inbox Emails Vanish.

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
Nomad

Inbox Emails Vanish.

Post by Nomad »

Good morning.

We have a very weird issue that just began happening over the past month.

Environment Notes:
1) ME v6.88 with IMAP has been working fine for years without issue. I realize it's an older version, but none the less it has been flawless,
2) There are no viruses anywhere on our Win2K8R2 server and it is fully patched and updated,
3) In all cases, the user's systems are Clean and Virus free (performed deep scans including root kit),
4) We've crippled AV on the server.

Every once in awhile, I get a user that tells me a message that "was" in their inbox just magically disappeared. The message is not in any Trash or Deleted items folder.

My ME logs show the messages arriving at the server and being deposited/routed to the appropriate SF/inbox. So we know it arrived.

In the case that occurred this morning, the user actually read/opened the email. She did not delete it or move it anywhere.

In one case, the user was looking right at the inbox an a message vanished.

I've had these 3 users use Webmail to eliminate Email Client issues. Two are using Thunderbird, one is using Outlook 365.

One user called me 10 minutes ago and said an email that she saw in here inbox is now gone - she is using Webmail.

We've ran the ME Diags, checked every Tab file, checked the server disk for corruption, deep virus scans - you name it we've done it.

We cannot physically reproduce this anomaly - it just randomly happens.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?

rfwilliams777

Re: Inbox Emails Vanish.

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Does the email (the .mai file) physically exist on the server? If so, delete the index files in all the folders and have the user log back into the webmail. There was a version with an update and we did experience that. Personally I would also recommend to drastically update your mail server version.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

Jinglebens

Post by Jinglebens »

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thanks to all for the replies.We wanted to see if we could drill this issue down to a specific area before replying.

rfwilliams777; no the mai file is not on disk, nor do the audit logs show any expunge command being issued against that particular mailbox.

As for "drastic upgrade" to be honest we have been using this version for years without incident and have followed the updates for quite some time and just didn't see anything of value for us to upgrade.

Here is what we ran into this weekend. A client received an email on Saturday. He viewed it on his phone when received. and reviewed it again yesterday. He arrived at the office today, started up Thunderbird and the message "WAS" in his inbox then suddenly disappeared.

So it "may seem" to be an email client issue - but that is speculative at best. Primarily because other clients are using Outlook (2k7 - 2k16, including my office), Pegasus mail, Mac Mail and others. The only users reporting the issue (at least at this point) are Thunderbird users.

So this leads to a few questions"
1) If we upgrade we are concerned that all of a sudden the users INBOX will all show as "unread". We have thousands of customers so this could be a real problem. Should this be a concern or be an issue?
2) Is there anything special we would need to do (other than the obvious backups of the Config and Email Folders etc) in order to upgrade?

Thanks to all for the assist...

rfwilliams777

Post by rfwilliams777 »

Is his Thunderbird IMAP or POP? Does he have a filter set up in the Inbox. I know Outlook will sometimes have filter enabled for certain folders (including inbox). The message disappears until you clear the filter and then the messages reappear. This is "usually" the case with IMAP but I have seen it a couple of times with POP.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WilliamsWebSolutions.com
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and we will migrate your accounts to us for FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!