SMTP Properties - Access Control question

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
sagelike

SMTP Properties - Access Control question

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

I've recently encountered a couple of situations where an IP was on SMTP Properties > Inbound (tab) IP Address Connection Restrictions > Access Control list.

It seems to be email address specific as well but my question is, how an IP getting added to this list?

I don't have user lockout enabled or Abuse Prevention enabled.

On side note, I would like to use these security tools but they don't provide enough fine tuning options.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: SMTP Properties - Access Control question

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

It will be added by the SMTP security setting for connection dropping.

http://www.mailenable.com/documentation ... urity.html - "Add to denied IP addresses if this number is reached" option.

What fine tuning options do you mean?
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

sagelike

Re: SMTP Properties - Access Control question

Post by sagelike »

Thanks Ian. I overlooked that configuration.

- Under localhost > Properties > Policies: I would like option to set lockout period to a custom value. 1 hour is too long.

- Abuse Prevention: An organization with dozen of users can encounter problems with a few users which may look like abuse but isn't. Options to set number of password guesses before blocking would be nice as well as ability to set lockout period to custom value.

- Abuse Prevention: Be able to view list of locked accounts.

I'd like to use these security tools but found they sometimes create problems with legitimate users. A shorter lockout period option would be helpful as I could then fine tune that. Most legitimate customers phone me right around the 45-60 minute lockout mark.