Strange inbox behaviour

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.
privateland

Strange inbox behaviour

Post by privateland »

This one's a doozy :shock: Never seen anything like it.

I have a Postoffice with two domains and mailboxes mapped to each. Domain1 has been working without any problems for several months, but today, inward mails suddenly dried up to the mailboxes mapped to that domain.

Curiously, anything sent from another local domain on the same server arrived without fail, but anything external just disappeared. Since the external senders were not notified about any delivery failures, and there was nothing in the SMTP logs - and nothing appeared in the inboxes - I was scratching my head for ages.

I thought that perhaps there was a DNS problem, so I reset the DNS - to no avail. As a workaround (which thankfully worked) I forwarded the DNS for mail.domain1 to mail.domain2

Any ideas how I could fault find on this error? It is particularly worrying that mails just disappear without any alerts being raised. I am also worried that if it happens in one Postoffice, it can happen in others.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: Strange inbox behaviour

Post by MailEnable-Ian »

Hi,

If there are no inbound SMTP transactions being logged from external connections then there maybe a DNS issue. Private message me the domain details and ill a quick look.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support